jordankc is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Unable to close Access after form change OR copy/paste form

Hello,

I've run into a problem and have not been able to find an answer after quite a bit of searching. i've seen some similar problem descriptions, but no solution.

I have an Access 2016 database (accdb). Well, I should clarify that I'm using the Access 2016 software, the accdb is from a previous version - not sure which one. I inherited this when I started a new volunteer job. I'm barely Access knowledgeable - problems and changes are done using the "Google it!" method, although I'm a retired DBA (oracle), so not completely clueless.

Without detailing the reason for making the change, I determined that I had to make a small update in an "Imbedded Macro" that is a property of one of the fields on the form. I simply (ha!) added an If clause to set a temporary variable so that when the macro "returns" it will position the table display at the currently updated row. After I made the editing changes, I saved, closed the macro, then changed to "Form view" and tested it. Worked fine as I expected. Then when I go to close the form (or Access), I get a message box about the form has changed, do I want to save - yes, no, cancel. If I say "yes", Access basically does nothing. Just sits there. Tried multiple times - no go. Only way out is "no", so all changes are lost.

I thought it might be related to having this form in my AutoExec file - ruled that out.

Then I thought to copy/paste the unmodified form. However, could not Paste it! Get message about "name confiicts with existing module...". From reading some posts about this error, I'm thinking there must be something I need to fix within the form regarding some "sub-object" names, but I don't know how best to check out such things.

I also thought (have not done so yet) to copy the whole database (all objects) to a new accdb to see if it goes cleanly. Is that done using the Export within Access to go directly to a second accdb file?

I don't have access to this at home right now, so it may take a day or 2 for me to reply with suggestions.

thanks,
    Ken

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    If you want to start anew, you open a new db and import all the objects you need from the old one. However, all you will likely do in this case is import the problem. Why don't you copy the db, compact/repair the copy (if it will let you) and post a zip file of it here? Many of us here don't use macros (prefer code) but some of us manage with them nonetheless.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    OK, will do in a day or 2. I did try the compact/repair on the copy I made (cut/paste in Explorer) and it didn't complain about anything. Still had the error after doing that.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    No resolution yet to the current database issue as described above, however I went to a copy saved in May and I was able to copy/paste the "problem" form. So then I used the "SaveAsText" function to save that copied form to a file and then LoadAsText into my current database. Next step will be to update this copied form with the small changes I was originally working on and then do a rename of the forms. I won't know the results for a bit as I'm leaving on a trip and don't have time to try it all out right now.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.