Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    What you describe is called cascading (or dependent) comboboxes. This requires VBA behind a form. Won't work with table. I NEVER build lookups in table, just comboboxes on form. This is a very common topic.

So, with my table design, UnitID combobox on form would have a RowSource like: SELECT OrgUnitID, OfficeName FROM OrganizationUnits WHERE LevelID = [cbxLevelID];

VBA in event procedure(s) would requery the combobox: Me.cbxOrgUnit.Requery

Some prefer to set RowSource property SQL statement instead of just requerying combobox.

The trick is figuring out what event(s) to put code into - usually form Current and combobox AfterUpdate and/or GotFocus.

Unfortunately, this will probably mean a field in Employees for LevelID. Alternatively, use form/subform arrangement. Main form bound to OrganizationUnits and subform bound to Employees. Master/Parent Links set to the associated OrgUnitID and UnitID fields. UnitID will automatically populate with OrgUnitID value when creating employee record.

Be aware cascading combobox with lookup alias doesn't work nice with continuous or datasheet form.

You already have a 'picture' of suggested design in my previous post. And it looks like from your other thread you have adopted that structure. Consider this thread resolved.
    Last edited by June7; 07-17-2019 at 02:07 AM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

skydivetom is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Challenging report

June 7:

Based on the redesign of the db, I'm now struggling w/ creating a report that mimics the one of the one version. Pls see more details in the following thread:

https://www.accessforums.net/showthr...954#post434954

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.