kamathmanoj is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

Unhappy Split an existing form into 3 - 4 forms

Hi Everyone,

Background:
    I have worked really hard (3 months) on creating an Access form that is going to be used in production. This form captures a data matrix bar code in one text field and splits the information into 20 text boxes (that feed 20 columns in an Access table). There is a lot of validation, coloring etc that I have built into the form that I do not want to lose.

However, my boss's boss has come up with an idea that the form is to be accessed via RDP on a scanner. Apparently this was a requirement from the beginning but my boss conveniently ignored it and now, he has exited the company, leaving me holding the project.

Problem:
    To fit all the fields, my only option is to break up the fields into logical components,
    Form 1: Coil attributes (Product ID, Heat#, Supplier #, Steel #, Bill of Lading, Quantity Received),
    Form 2: Physical properties (weight, yield strength, tensile strength, elongation, gauge, width and 2 types of coating thickness) and
    Form 3: Chemical properties (Carbon content, Phosphorous content, Sulphur Content, Manganese content, Silicon content and Aluminium content)

To achieve this and still have only 1 piece of data entry via that text field that accepts the data matrix bar code, will it be enough to copy all the controls to other forms that are called up with a "Next" control? Or is there a way to create tabbed data entry on the current form? Either ways, I need to update the record once all the fields are checked by the data entry operator.

Please help. I need to have this up and running soon and its double the pressure as my Boss is not around any longer to take the flak for his omission. No - there is no scope of asking for more time as there is a big "test" of the system next week.

Regards,
    Manoj

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You can add a tab control to your form and move controls onto appropriate tabs. From the form's perspective, they all remain on the same form so all your code and formatting should still work.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    You can add a tab control to your form and move controls onto appropriate tabs. From the form's perspective, they all remain on the same form so all your code and formatting should still work.
    PAUL! You are a lifesaver. I am doing that as I type but in Access 2003 (havent tried a different version), the moment I add a tabbed control, the app crashes! Its done that 3 times as I moved the final control into a tab. I tried saving the form as I completed one tab and now the form will not open! <Sigh!>

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    No - there is no scope of asking for more time as there is a big "test" of the system next week.
    That's probably unfortunate because it looks like you got off on the wrong foot design-wise - if those are really your field names, and if you ever add a product that has an as yet unidentified chemical field.

By "create tabbed data entry on the current form?" did you mean a form with tabs or the ability to navigate through it with the tab key? If the former, Paul is probably on the right path. However, I find "20 text boxes (that feed 20 columns in an Access table)" to be somewhat confusing. If there is only one table, why is there a need for more than one form?
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kamathmanoj View Post
    PAUL! You are a lifesaver. I am doing that as I type but in Access 2003 (havent tried a different version), the moment I add a tabbed control, the app crashes! Its done that 3 times as I moved the final control into a tab. I tried saving the form as I completed one tab and now the form will not open! <Sigh!>
    That shouldn't happen (obviously), and I can't recall having had that type of issue. Hopefully you have a backup? Are you using design view, or layout view (or maybe that wasn't available in 2003)? If it happens again on a backup perhaps you have a corrupted form or something:

http://allenbrowne.com/recover.html
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Hey Paul,

I did the move a more painful way, I moved each control at a time and saved the form and database each time. It worked - the move that is, is succesful.
    Now my command buttons wont work and the scanned text from the bar code stays in the field but doesnt populate the fields in the tabs. Perhaps I need to add the tab names to the field now to call them to pick up the data from the data matrix bar code accepting control? No clue why the normal operations like New, Save, Delete, Exit form will not work, though. What could have changed?

Micron - the ask is to have that big form with multiple fields to be visible for checking and correcting after the initial data entry from within an RDP environment on a Windows CE scanner.

Regards,
    Manoj

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Now my command buttons wont work
    You likely lost your connections between the controls and the code project. In design view and on property sheet, select one and see if the event is still indicated in the property sheet events tab. If not and you click the ellipses (...) that got you there before, you will navigate to the code event if it's still there. This will reconnect it to the control.

Command buttons worked! Thanks Micron!!
    How do I get the data into the tabs controls? I tried Me.TabName.ControlName= Value
    but it doesnt work, nor does it give an error. Weird!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    How do I get the data into the tabs controls?
    The answer is in post 2: "they all remain on the same form"
    They are "children" of the form, not the tab control and not the page which is really what you might have meant (or should perhaps say).
    Me.ControlName= Value

MICRON!

I am stupid! I was using a lost_focus() to enter the data from that field but that didnt work anymore. Changed the function to an AfterUpdate() and it works beautifully now.
    I am so happy that it works on my scanner perfectly

My regards to you and Paul. I really appreciate you guys (gender neutral there - easy now)

Regards,
    Manoj

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I didn't mean to take over, but am glad you figured it out nonetheless.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.