smatchymo is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

How to sort monthly bar chart formatted "mmm" in numerical order

I have a totals query that I have linked to a bar chart in a report. What is the best way to have it display the "mmm" abbreviation without sorting it in alphabetical order? My query has a TransactionMonth field and a TransactionAmount field. The TransactionMonth field pulls from a date field using MonthName(Month([TransactionDate]),1). I could just use Month instead of MonthName, but that doesn't look as nice...

When researching I saw mention of ORDER BY, but I'm unfamiliar with SQL and wasn't able to quite figure that out.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    order by month, display the monthname

June7 is online now VIP
    Calculate month number field and set SORT row under that field in design grid.

If you want to provide your db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks Ajax and June, but I'm still lost unfortunately. Ajax are you talking SQL? I'm completely unfamiliar with SQL.

June, I'm not quite sure how that applies to the chart on the report. I get how that will properly order it in the query, but the chart will still be alphabetical because I want to display the field with the month name.

Ajax are you talking SQL? I'm completely unfamiliar with SQL.
    But you are familiar with queries (I have a totals query). The query design grid is just a way of creating and editing sql. ORDER BY is sql is the same as Sort in the query design grid. When in query design you will see a SQL button bottom right of the form, or the SQL option to the left of the ribbon. clicking on either of these will take you to the sql view for your query

I get what you were saying now. I don't have issues getting the query to order how I want, my issue is with the bar chart in a report. I can turn a query into a pivot chart and it will order fine, but trying to do it in a report trips me up.

are you asking how to use the chart control on a report? if so, see this link https://support.office.com/en-us/art...6-4ecb737ea7f7. it's for 2019 which is a bit more flexible than 2010 but should give you an idea

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    are you asking how to use the chart control on a report? if so, see this link https://support.office.com/en-us/art...6-4ecb737ea7f7. it's for 2019 which is a bit more flexible than 2010 but should give you an idea
    I guess I'm not sure where in the chart control I'm able to get it to do what I'm asking. I just thought this would be a common enough activity that there would be an obvious solution. As far as I can tell there is no way for me to do what I want using my totals query. However, I can get it to do something close to what I want by going to the source data, or my query for all transactions. When doing that I use the TransactionDate and then have my chart sum the data by month. My issue is that this also displays the year along with the month. For this particular chart, I'm only showing YTD spending, so the year is redundant. Is there a way to format that to only show "mmm"? If not, I'm back to my original question of how to customize the way my chart sorts the bars.

beyond providing the link and the suggestion I and others have made about sorting your data, not sure what else I can suggest. It may be your data is just in a design that won't enable you do do what you want

June7 is online now VIP
    You need to provide sample data and the query statement. That's why I suggested you just provide the db for analysis.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    beyond providing the link and the suggestion I and others have made about sorting your data, not sure what else I can suggest. It may be your data is just in a design that won't enable you do do what you want
    I've solved my issue, but I don't think you were understanding what I was asking. I have a table with TransactionDates and TransactionAmounts among other fields. I had a totals query pulling from that table. I wanted to have a chart in a report reference that query to show monthly sums. That does not work, because in order to properly group the query you have to convert the TransactionDate to the month name or number. When you do this, the field loses it's date properties, so the chart wouldn't be able to sort it in chronological order.

As I mentioned, I changed what I was doing, and I had the chart pull directly from a different query which had my raw transactional data with all of the individual dates. I had the chart calculate the monthly sums now instead of a totals query. Doing this properly sorted everything, however, it displayed the labels for the bars in the chart as "Jan '19" instead of "Jan". As I mentioned, having the year was redundant for my needs. The issue was no longer sorting. The solution to that was changing the formatting in the "Row Source" property field.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.