Using Between Operator when control is blank

Hi,

I'm using a query that has 6 possible parameters for filtering. One of the filters is a date range with start and ending dates. The date range works fine by itself or when other parameters have values. But if the user enters a value into another control (parameter) and leaves the date range blank the query finds 0 records. Here is my experience with the criteria I have tried.

1. Between [Forms]![Send Letter]![StartDate] And [Forms]![Send Letter]![EndingDate] THIS WORKS

2. Like "*" & [Forms]![Send Letter]![StartDate] & "*"- JUST ENTERING THE START DATE AS AN "EQUALS THE DATE" and THAT WORKS

3. Between Like "*" & [Forms]![Send Letter]![StartDate] & "*" And Like "*" & [Forms]![Send Letter]![EndingDate] & "*"
    BUT THAT TELLS ME I MAY BE MISSING A COMMA when I try to save the query.

Any thoughts. I can't do VBA and I believe some variation of this should work.

Jeff

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Supply an alternate value when control is Null.

Between Nz([Forms]![Send Letter]![StartDate], #1/1/1900#) And Nz([Forms]![Send Letter]![EndingDate], #12/31/2199#)

Why can't you do VBA? http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Alternative value

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Supply an alternate value when control is Null.

Between Nz([Forms]![Send Letter]![StartDate], #1/1/1900#) And Nz([Forms]![Send Letter]![EndingDate], #12/31/2199#)

Why can't you do VBA? http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html
    ’’

First, thanks for the response.
    Second, what is Nz
    Thirds, I don’t have time to learn VBA. But thanks for asking.

I entered everything you said in the criteria field and on saving I get a message that “The expression you entered has an invalid date value”. I reasearched this on line and it appears to be the right syntax.

????

Ok, I got past the “invalid date” part and it saves. I just had a couple of characters wrong. However, I’m still getting No Records.

I'm not sure what happened but I wrote the "code" one more time and everything worked. This has been solved per your earlier reply on using Nz.
    Thanks again
    Jeff

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.