mossikukulas is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Question How to design a day specific task list that can be ticked off with names,dates, time taken

Hi all

I'm new to this forum and MS Access as well!
    I've only started learning this past week.

What I'm trying to do is create a database for a paper task that my team does at work.
    They have a paper checklist of various tasks that need to be done each date to stay on top of BAU tasks.
    Each day has different tasks although some are common.
    They pass it on to each other to tick it off and see what tasks have been done already and what needs doing so they're not missed off.

I'm trying to think at the moment how to design it, in terms of how do I structure this with tables, queries etc but I'm coming up short and going around in circles..

Essentially I'd like to transfer the paper copy they have that they tick off as completed and put down their initials and the time it has taken them to complete the task.
    I also would like to be able to export that as a report later but I think I'll need to overcome the first hurdle of actually designing it.

So far I have only managed to create a continuous form with a drop-down list of task categories, initials, time taken for other tasks.
    This is for other ad-hoc tasks and that works ok so far but I don't know to transition to the day specific checklist..

I'm not looking for anything fancy or glamorous, just to transition seamlessly their paper process to a database where I can also get quickly MI with who spent what time and on what task and on which days etc.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!
    Many thanks

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    You have to create a set of task records for each date. Sounds like there is one set of tasks that multiple people contribute work on.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    think you need a minimum of 4 tables. The below is a guide to get you going but is not a complete solution because it is not clear what the process actually is

tblTasks
    TaskPK
    TaskDescription

tblUsers
    UserPK
    UserName

tblDays (your description isn't clear whether these are days of the week? month? year?, I've assumed week)
    DayPK
    DayName

tblAssigned
    AssignedPK
    DayFK
    TaskFK
    UserFK
    TimeTaken
    Completed

I also would like to be able to export that as a report later but I think I'll need to overcome the first hurdle of actually designing it.
    design it all on paper before you start to construct your tables. This includes reporting. Otherwise there is a significant risk that once designed, you have to mess around significantly with the design to meet reporting requirements

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    think you need a minimum of 4 tables. The below is a guide to get you going but is not a complete solution because it is not clear what the process actually is

tblTasks
    TaskPK
    TaskDescription

tblUsers
    UserPK
    UserName

tblDays (your description isn't clear whether these are days of the week? month? year?, I've assumed week)
    DayPK
    DayName

tblAssigned
    AssignedPK
    DayFK
    TaskFK
    UserFK
    TimeTaken
    Completed

design it all on paper before you start to construct your tables. This includes reporting. Otherwise there is a significant risk that once designed, you have to mess around significantly with the design to meet reporting requirements
    Hi thank you for the tables.
    I thought it might be multiple tables but wasn't sure how to link them.

To clarify there are 5 set of tasks.
    One for each weekday and one start of month.
    The sheet they print has all the tasks listed with tickbox next to it for initials.
    The tasks are like:
    - check file exceptions
    - check client A messages
    - check incoming payments
    etc

Each person picks up a task from the sheet.
    There won't be multiple people working on 1 task as that could cause confusion and unwanted results. Any person in the team can perform any task.

So I want a form for each weekday with the tasks listed top to bottom and next to each task 3 boxes. One with the completed tick box, one with the initials of who did it and one with the time it took.
    Also I'd like to be able to look back into previous dates to see who did what but I assume that can be done with a combo box with the date?

For the MI I want to be able to pull a simple report with who did which task on what date and how long they spent on each task.
    This is to pick out people who cherry-pick tasks and to see who does the more 'challenging' ones so to say but also see how long they spend on them for time and motion purposes if that makes sense?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    not sure if you are asking a question or not. the schema I provided would appear to meet those requirements - your form would be based around tblAssigned. you would beed to preopoulate it with day and task. When a user decides he/she is going to do that task, they select their name to populate the user field. Once completed they complete the time it took. On reflection there is no real reason for having a completed field - you know its completed because the time field has been completed.

There is a database template called 'task management' in the template set provided by access. You might want to take a look at that (when opening access, click on New and you will see the templates to the right of the navigation window

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    not sure if you are asking a question or not. the schema I provided would appear to meet those requirements - your form would be based around tblAssigned. you would beed to preopoulate it with day and task. When a user decides he/she is going to do that task, they select their name to populate the user field. Once completed they complete the time it took. On reflection there is no real reason for having a completed field - you know its completed because the time field has been completed.

There is a database template called 'task management' in the template set provided by access. You might want to take a look at that (when opening access, click on New and you will see the templates to the right of the navigation window
    It was a general statement so to say!
    Thank you I'll have a look into what you said.

I did have a look at the task management one but it keeps opening up new forms to enter the data and it's not what I wanted.
    Unless it had what I wanted elsewhere in there and I completely missed it..

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.