iaskey is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016

Linking a File Table from Microsoft SQL Server to a table within Microsoft Access 2016

I've used the standard method of linking tables from a Microsoft SQL 2012 Database into an Access 2016 Database. Every table linked correctly except for a File Table. Within Access, the linked table displays the File Table's fields but not the records. How can I create a linked table within Access that correctly displays all the contents of the File Table that are within the SQL database?

I've tried using updated drivers to create the DSN to allow for connection to the SQL server. There is an integrated test within the DSN creation wizard that displays the connection is successful.

I expected the linked table within Access to display the contents of the File Table within the SQL database, but it displays the following images and an ODBC--call failed error message.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails linkedTable.PNG   errorMsg.PNG  

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have read that having just one bit field with a null in just one record can cause this, or a field with invalid value for the type. If that is the case, set any nulls to 0 or 1 (or is it -1 in sql server also?) and set default value so that it's never null. As for invalid value, you might have text/gibberish in a date field - again, in just 1 record.

This isn't my forte' so not much more for me to add than that.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

iaskey is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2016
    Thank you for your response! It turned out to be the path_locator field in the FileTable. For some strange reason, the middleman for creating the linked table in Access did not know how to properly convert the datatype. I created a view so that I would not have to have that field in the linked table. All is good now!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.