pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003

Tool Tips popup text

This example shows how you can make a neat looking tool tips dialog box popup appear when hovering over a field. A nice utility to replace the ControlTip.

Note: this is apparently a copy of the original source that was modified and reposted without the comments containing the original author (this is not an example I created but instead one I downloaded from another website I found it on.)

You can find the original, unmodified source of this example located here: http://www.lebans.com/tooltip.htm

I am unsure where exactly I downloaded this cloned copy of the original (I wasn't aware there was another source of this example) and want to make note that I frown on revising code and removing the original author.

Last edited by pkstormy; 09-02-2010 at 08:38 PM.

HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    This is actually code from Stephen Lebans.

Here is the original: ToolTip

Windows XP Access 2003
    HiTechCoach,

Just a note: A lot of the coding examples I've posted in this section are ones which I've grabbed from one website or another. There are some I've posted which I've created myself but I definitely don't want to give the impression that all the ones I've posted are ones I've personally created!

That very much goes against my code of ethics.

I may not give credit where due in the post itself (my fault) since I assume the comments are in the code itself which has the author (which I never ever remove) and don't always look through the comments when posting the example. Sadly, I don't usually author the ones I create (but can typically recognize my own coding techniques).

Thanks for posting the original link. If you come across any others, feel free to edit my post and put in the link to the original origin. I collect so many of these snippets that I don't keep track of where they all come from. I just pass them along.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I downloaded and looked at the link you supplied and noticed the Lebans author comment line was removed from the example which I posted. This is very upsetting to me. I do recall grabbing this example from another website a long time ago and will see if I can track down where it was re-posted without giving credit where due!

Windows XP Access 2003
    Just a followup. I did a search and found this specific example posted on several other sites, some with the author, some without. Each one I found is also slightly different from Leban's code but obviously stemming from Lebans so I'm wondering if this example wasn't modified and re-modified as it was spread.

A shame since I highly respect a lot of Leban's examples. I'm still trying to find the site where I grabbed this specific same example.

HiTechCoach is offline MS MVP - Access Expert
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    There are code examples from sites re-posted. Sometime the copyright info has been removed when re-posted. The copyright specifically states that you can not re-port. But people just remove the copyright and report.

Be sure to read the copyright info, if any, in the code and on the site to see if you even have permissions to re-post.

I think I saw some code that you posted that had the copy write info removed by someone.

What for something like this in the code on a page or in a database:

Code:
    'This code was originally written by Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach
    'It is not to be altered or distributed,
    'except as part of an application.
    'You are free to use it in any application,
    'provided the copyright notice is left unchanged.
    '
    'Code Courtesy of
    'Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach

I would recommend that you always post the source/author of the code. If unknown, state that.

If you do know the source site, I find it even better to provide a link to the site and not re-post a copy. This way is there are any updates on the original source site you link will pint to the lastest version.

Windows XP Access 2003
    I understand about how comments regarding the author are put into code.

Like I mentioned, I don't EVER remove anything out of the comments! I just download, store in my collection (which consists of hundreds of examples), and post to help others. I've been collecting (and creating) examples since 1992 when I first starting developing with MSAccess and the 50+ examples I've posted in this section are part of that collection or again, ones which I've personally created.

I also don't go through every example I've downloaded checking to see if the author is documented and if not, then search throughout the entire web to see if there is an original author somewhere else and if the example I downloaded was reposted without the author. It's unreasonable to ask this and I doubt anyone else who downloads, uses, or posts an example always searches throughout the web to try and see if there's another example somewhere else posted with an original author. If someone points out that there is an original source somewhere else that has the author such as you have with this posting, I do everything possible to find the source where I got my example from and make sure the author gets credit in the posting itself.

If need be and it's requested, I will remove all examples that I've posted which are not ones I've personally created.

But again, I noticed that there are already several copies of this example posted throughout the web, some with the author, some without. You may want to let those sites know as well.

Last edited by pkstormy; 09-02-2010 at 09:08 PM.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.