Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I guess I accidentally deleted that button. Don't really remember doing it. Should be a simple fix.

I always set db for Overlapping Windows instead of Tabbed Documents. For one reason, to view objects side-by-side. Forgot to put it back. File > Options > Current Database

You have db so locked up with customization, it is a real aggravation for debugging.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

billgyrotech1 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2010 64bit
    I am very sorry to have caused trouble

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Bill,

It isn't that you've caused trouble. It is your approach -no stated requirement, no identified plan...
    It seems you have 1 issue after another and have not identified the "big picture" nor how the pieces are expected to fit within that picture. This is basically a trial and error method in which you have to correct each identified problem individually and repeatedly as coordination/relationship issues arise.
    You are trying to optimize the logic of the user interface and import production data from some existing system to the new system, but it seems the database tables and relationships have not been vetted by the user/acceptance group.
    Readers do not know the details of your business processes, so can not comment on your set up holistically. June's comments on the degree of customization found during her attempts to resolve the import issues indicate problems with basic design. These could be tables, approach complexity, multi-purpose forms or any number of things.
    It seems late in your development efforts, but setting up some prototype that could be shown and vetted with proposed users may be appropriate. We are not hearing of any involvement of users, testing, feedback, adjustment etc nor any sort of versioning.
    You know your environment and we don't. Readers may continue to answer individual posts, but we need to know your requirement in detail if you really want to resolve the many issues you appear to be facing/encountering.
    Good luck.

Most of the issues have been from the data itself. The users have typed in improper data that I have tried to correct over the years.

Well if it's a data quality issue, have you addressed data validation? Why would you accept whatever a user typed/entered?
    Most data entered by users is as an answer/selection to a request. Each has some "valid domain" of values, and that is something the designer can influence. That is a major role of lookup tables (tables with acceptable, selectable values with correct spelling, numbers...).
    Can you tell us a little about your "business" and the users of your application?

June7 is offline VIP
    Wasn't meant to be a complaint. Just an indication this level of lockdown is usually best left till the end of development, just before db is deployed to make life for you (the developer) easier.

And for after deployment, I even have code that won't activate customization if I am the one opening.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

It will be mostly protected at least better than the old version. If the users cause any issues i will try to figure out what to do to it of course with help on here.

I have tried to think of what they could do wrong but I know there will be something I haven't thought of.

Thanks for all the help this far,
    Bill ��

June7 is offline VIP
    @orange, by customization I meant hidden ribbon and menus, deactivated X close, etc.

So Bill, the data works?

June, Bill,

Sorry, I misunderstood June's comment on aggravation(for debugging). However, I have watched Bill's posts and have tried to understand his database. I did not see any comments or instructions to get to the problem area with contextual info as to what was needed vs what was observed and any attempts to resolve the issue(s). So, my major concern is how others can review and comment on code or investigate logic issues when there is little to no instructions in the posts or the database(s) posted.
    I understand your comments re lock down/hide/remove features to make it "more fool proof", but when asking for help debugging "logic/data/validation/datatype etc etc" issues one after another, I see no need to installing such hiding techniques when the base logic and design have not been articulated nor vetted. I fully agree after thorough testing and acceptance, that is the time for/to lock down features.
    Seems many of the issues that have been subject of several posts and several threads could have been highlighted and resolved with some focused prototypes, before designing and finalizing the whole shebang.

I would like to see the statement of requirements or some similar document that initiated this database creation/modification and any related priorities, testing, acceptance milestones or the like.
    It has been approached with a trial and error technique and heavy questioning of the forum to resolve issues and to identify next steps. An approach fraught with difficulties.
    Anyway, I hope Bill is learning from the forum and the efforts by various responders; and that he will focus on a set of tutorials that will bring concepts, design principles, testing methods and access event details into his development philosophy.
    Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.