Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    GraeagleBill is offline Experienced Old Geezer
    Windows 10 Access 2013 32bit
    I was only using DBEngine in my attempts to find success, as I too use Currentdb 99% of the time. Anyway, the code still fails. (below) BTW, normally the IP address is that of another computer on the same LAN. But, because I'm developing some new code that 192.169.1.8 is my machine so the db is actually 'c:\GCC\GCC Data.mdb' the BE of the primary app. Would that make a difference?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	003.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	38948

I made a copy of c:\GCC\GCC DATA.mdb on 192.168.1.9 (Another computer on the LAN) and I get the exact same error.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Would that make a difference?
    I don't know, try it and see. I've never had the need to use IP addresses in this way before - it may be something to do with security settings

I made a copy of c:\GCC\GCC DATA.mdb on 192.168.1.9 (Another computer on the LAN) and I get the exact same error.

I Mapped a drive on the "other" computer and had no problem accessing the db, "T:\GCC\GCC DATA.mdb", but even after checking the SHARE properties of the DB and its folder do I see any permission issues.

June7 is offline VIP
    Are you trying to reference a database located on network server?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    did a bit of looking around - it looks like to reference a computer using the IP address you need to do so either by using ODBC or by using remote desktop. What is your reason for wanting to use an IP rather than say a UNC path? UNC uniquely identifies the machine if you are worried about the other computer being mapped to different drives so users need to refresh their linked tables.

So I suspect the error message you are getting when using IP is misleading

I switched from the use of IP to UNC and had no problem accessing the data on the "other" computer.

The situation at hand here is that I'll need to Read/Only from 4 different tables and Read/Write to one other, which happens to be a command stack. I can always establish permanent links to all 5 tables. I'm not used to sharing in a Read/Write mode to a db so maybe some caution/guidance would come in handy? If it helps, each machine could have its own command stack and simply run a UNION query when one needs to see the command activity as a whole.

(This should also answer June7's #10)

CJ_London is offline VIP
    not sure what your question is - rdbms's (presumably JET in this case) are intended to be shared/multi user. I don't understand what you mean by

each machine could have its own command stack and simply run a UNION query when one needs to see the command activity as a whole.

Didn't mean to confuse the issue. I'm not experienced in the Access DB world when the situation arises where two computers can potentially simultaneously want to update a table. Having said that, the table involved in my situation is such that each computer could have its own copy and the only time the two would meet is when the user is creating a report, at such time one could be appended to the other as the reports RecordSource. From your reply, it seems that my concerns are unwarranted?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    it is not clear to me what you actually require - most your your posts imply a readonly requirement.

where two computers can potentially simultaneously want to update a table
    the rdbms will handle that automatically - suggest read up on file locking if users are updating existing records (not appending new ones) as you can modify the rdbms behaviour in the event that two users are in a position where (potentially) they want to update the same record at the same time

Sorry to be at all vague. As I sort through the potential obstacles as I design a new service module, I encounter areas that I've not dealt with in the "Access arena". With that, I too get confused momentarily about which tech answers either solve or cause a re-direct of design considerations, normal progression in my experience. So, thanks for your reply as you've put to rest my concerns about DB collisions.

rdbms will handle that automatically
    The requirement with the current case is that a "service module" running 24/7 on one computer have read/only access to 3 tables and read/write on a 4th table on a single DB that resides on a 2nd computer. You've allayed my concern about the read/write activity on the 4th table, as there won't be any table updating on the same record.

The "Service module" will simply set links to the required tables, via UNC reference, as would be the case on typical split configurations.

Thanks for your help, and sorry about the confusion.
    Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.