c.d.power is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Duplicate fields on a form in order to save multiple records to the underlying table

I'm having this idea for a my DB:

-User opens a data entry form with one "row" of fields

-They could just enter one record in that single row OR there would be a command that would add an additional row (with the same fields) below the original row.

-The user could add up to a certain amount of "rows" and add unique data to each row before saving the data to the underlying table.

-Each "row" would have to save as a separate record in the underlying table.

-If the user decides they don't want a row after all, there would be another command on the phone to delete the row.

Is this possible? I am assuming there would have to be some underlying code to make it work as the fields would have to be unbound. Otherwise, as users entered the data, the data would just duplicate across all like fields.

Thank you in advance for any help with this!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Why did you say 'phone'?

You would have to create form with multiple rows of controls. If you want to allow 8 records and 5 fields, that would be 40 controls on form, not counting labels and buttons.

Don't do this.

Only very experienced developers dare use UNBOUND forms for data entry/edit. The reason for Access as GUI is it does so much heavy lifting for you. If you want to develop GUI in C#, VB.net or some other app where you have to do all kinds of programming to move data, go for it.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

c.d.power is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Why did you say 'phone'?

You would have to create form with multiple rows of controls. If you want to allow 8 records and 5 fields, that would be 40 controls on form, not counting labels and buttons.

Don't do this.

Only very experienced developers dare use UNBOUND forms for data entry/edit. The reason for Access as GUI is it does so much heavy lifting for you. If you want to develop GUI in C#, VB.net or some other app where you have to do all kinds of programming to move data, go for it.
    Sorry about that, meant to type “form”.

Thanks for the advice, it definitely sounds like I would be in over my head. I’ll stick with allowing the user to enter a single record.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    What do you mean by 'a single record'? User can enter as many as they want by just moving to New Record row.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.