importing excel spreadsheet issues

I work for a company where I do quality assurance. We get a spreadsheet every week of the curent employees where I work. What I need to do is import this spreadsheet every week and update my tables.
    Access will not allow me to create good relationships between other tables and the linked table. Also, if I import the table it works fine; however, the second time I import into the same table it gives me a non-descript error message.
    Basically, I don't know anything about how to manage the linked data. I also need to make sure that if data is deleted from the spreasheet that it is _not_ deleted from our database. Employees may leave our company but we still need to retain their records in our database. My _main_ concern is: how do I get this linked data to tables that I can actually work with and create relationships with. I'm just a noob with Access so I'm probably missing some crucial but simple piece of information. I'm bascally looking for information on how people generally handle linked spreadsheets.

~James

Hope this helps

Hi,

Do you know which employees are new to the spreadsheet? If so, you could edit the spreadsheet by adding a column for "new employees" before creating a linked table in Access. Then you could create an append query where the criteria is "new employees". This would add records to a table such as your employee history table.

Regards,
    James C.
    EDI Analyst

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.