Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    kieranharrison is offline True blue Aussie m8
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Exclamation Help with execution

Hi Guys,

Any chance anyone could please provide an idea/ tell me how I can execute this;

So basically, I have the 2 tables which are shown below which get populated by the two forms (also shown below) each month every time we receive an upload file from an airport. Each airport has different airlines with different upload files.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tables_for_query.png 
Views:	38 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	38865

My question is, how can I create something which tells me which of the airline files I have not yet received from the corresponding airport? I could create a directory table which tells me what airline files I am expecting to receive from each airport, but I don't really know what to do from there?

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    So somewhere you record the date of last received file for each airport? Use that table in query.

Need a better understanding of database structure to advise more specific.

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016

Monthly Upload File Register DB

Hi June7,

Yep, definitely record the date.

Thanks very much for your help! I appreciate it. Please see here for the file - Monthly Upload File Register - Edit.zip

Windows 10 Access 2016
    The same process would then follow for files I have not yet uploaded/ published, but once I know how to do it I can do the other two.

June7 is offline VIP
    Try this query:

SELECT IATA_Dir.IATA_Code
    FROM IATA_Dir
    WHERE IATA_Code NOT IN (SELECT IATA_Code FROM received_files_table WHERE Format(Received_Date, "mmmyy") = [enter MMMYY]);

The [enter MMMYY] parameter can be reference to control on form. Or don't put filter criteria in query and instead apply to report when opened (my preference).

Advise not to build lookups in tables, just build combobox or listbox on form. Probably should have an Airlines table.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks very much for your help June, I really appreciate it!

Just a question, how will the query/report know which airlines have not been received from each airport? That data isn't actually in there yet so i'm thinking i'll have to create a separate table for each airport, then just have one field in each table which tells you what airlines are expected to be received for that specific airport?

For example, Ballina Airport should receive - Jetstar, Qantas and Virgin data each month. How can I create a query/ report which tells me which of those 3 airlines has not yet been received ?

PS: I'm very new to access, forgot to mention.

Thanks again

June7 is offline VIP
    Don't have a table for each airport - one table with two fields: IATA_Code and Airline.

SELECT AirportAirlines.*
    FROM AirportAirlines
    WHERE IATA_Code & Airline NOT IN (SELECT IATA_Code & Airline FROM received_files_table WHERE Format(Received_Date, "mmmyy") = [enter MMMYY]);

Might want to have a table of Airlines with name and airline code and use Airline_Code as key instead of repeating full Airline name in multiple tables.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ok so I've done that. Now I have a field in my Received Files Form which is a combo box that uses the airline values that I have chosen to type myself because if I just link it to the 'airline' field in the airline_dir table then there is a bunch of duplicates - see below

Name:	airline_dir.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	38890 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_form.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	38891

Would that be correct?

Also, I put some dummy data in the received_files_table so that I could test the query. I input the query so it should only show that I have not yet received 'Rex' (airline) for 'BNK' (airport), however, it just copies the whole airline_dir table??

See here if it helps - Monthly Upload File Register - v2 for june.zip

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    PMFJI,

I would recommend you get your tables straightened out before moving on. You have a lot of look-up FIELDs. You should never use look-up FIELDS (look-up TABLES are OK).
    What happens when we reach the next year (2020)??? You (or someone) have to go into each field and edit the dates in every field that used the dates.

You should never allow anyone to enter/edit data directly in tables, so setting up the look-up FIELDs is a waste of time (IMHO) - and you also have to set up the combo boxes so you've just doubled your design work/time.

See http://www.theaccessweb.com/lookupfields.htm
    and http://www.theaccessweb.com/tencommandments.htm

And maybe you would post a couple of received files and a couple of published files. (change any sensitive data)

June7 is offline VIP
    I suggested you have a table of airlines.

Otherwise, query can be: SELECT DISTINCT Airline FROM airline_dir;

If you want airline combobox to show only airlines associated with selected airport, then that would be cascading combobox - a very common topic.

If lookup is set in table (I NEVER do this) then dragging field from field list in form design will adopt the lookup settings defined in table. A minor convenience not worth the headaches lookups in table cause.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks very much for that ssanfu!

Don't worry about jumping in, the more help the better haha.

I will straighten out the tables and post the DB again shortly. I am just trying to get the first stage (received files) working properly then I can move forward with uploaded and published. So don't worry about them for now.

Attached is the upload register file we are using at the moment.

June7 - I do have a table of airlines with the fields you advised? I managed to get the query working properly using the following;

SELECT airline_dir.*
    FROM airline_dir
    WHERE Airport & Airline NOT IN (SELECT Airport & Airline FROM received_files_table WHERE Format(Processing_Month, "mmyy") = [enter MMYY]);

Give me some time to fix this all up and I will comment again. Thanks very much for your help guys, I really appreciate it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    You can have tables:

AirportIATA (a table of airports and info about airports - AirportName, IATA, Address, etc)

AirlineCodes (a table of airlines and info about airlines - AirlineName, AirlineCode, HQAddress, etc)

AirportsAirlines (a junction table that associates airports with airlines)

Or if you don't care about details for airline and airport entities, just have AirportsAirlines and use DISTINCT qualifier in query.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi Guys,

Think I've got a final product here (or close to it).

Would really appreciate if you could have a quick skim over it and see if there is anything I could improve? (file attached)

I no longer have any lookup fields within tables, all of my combo box values are pulling from a directory table and I have replicated the code provided to create a couple additional queries.

I just have one question though - is it possible to change the column headers in a query? I have a query titled 'Monthly Upload Register - All' and I think it would be much easier to understand if the column headers could be labelled differently.

Thanks again,
    Attached Files Attached Files

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    I downloaded the file from Post #13.....it still has the look up fields.......

Oops, I forgot to answer "is it possible to change the column headers in a query??

Yes, you can and it is easy.

You have a query "Query_Test" - the SQL is
    Code:
    SELECT airline_dir.*
    FROM airline_dir
    WHERE Airport & Airline NOT IN (SELECT Airport & Airline FROM received_files_table WHERE Format(Received_Date, "mmmyy") = [enter MMMYY]);
    It is not recommended to use the "*" (all fields) so I'm going to change the query to

Code:
    SELECT airline_dir.Airport, airline_dir.Airline
    FROM airline_dir
    WHERE ((([Airport] & [Airline]) Not In (SELECT Airport & Airline FROM received_files_table WHERE Format(Received_Date, "mmmyy") = [enter MMMYY])));
    I'm going to change the query column names to "MyAirport" and MyAirline"

The SQL looks like
    Code:
    SELECT airline_dir.Airport AS MyAirline, airline_dir.Airline AS MyAirline
    FROM airline_dir
    WHERE ((([Airport] & [Airline]) Not In (SELECT Airport & Airline FROM received_files_table WHERE Format(Received_Date, "mmmyy") = [enter MMMYY])));
    In the query design grid:

Name:	Presentation1.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	38928

(Note the colon)
    MyAireline:Airline
    Last edited by ssanfu; 06-27-2019 at 07:57 PM. Reason: added image and details.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ssanfu - I must be going blind. Where are they?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.