Miked1978 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2013 64bit

What kind of form should i be using

Hello all this is my first post.

I'm new to creating forms and was wondering what my approach should be. I need to create a form where the user selects criteria from several combo boxes and then presses a button that queries a local table to give them the results based on their criteria. From there they need to select records they want to send to another employee via a checkbox or something. For instance their criteria selected 20 records but they only need 5 of them so i'm thinking about putting a checkbox by each record and they "check" the records they want.

I have the form created and the combo boxes working correctly. When I press the button a query runs and gets me the results. However this is just a query that comes up in another window. I would ultimately like a subform on the bottom of the main form where the user can check the records they want and click another button to "submit" them which would save them off to another table.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    The 'check' method is problematic for a multi-user db. This must be a field in table. Multiple users setting this value in records will conflict with each other.

Review:

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-62.html

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-50.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    you wouldn't "send" these records to another person if they were also a db user - you'd flag them with a value that identifies the record as needing their attention. As you state, the user can check this flag field, but it doesn't have to be another form or subform. However, I think a simple checkbox field is of limited use here. You might use a combo whose row source is a list of users and associate each record with a particular user. This would be one of the few times I might use a combo that is bound to a field.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

I think before anyone can advice anything reasonable OP has to explain what is meant by "to send to another employee". A mail with some data in body? A mail with with attachment? (And then what kind of attachment too!). Some flag in database table (like was assumed before)? Some file of certain format saved into certain folder?

After the user selects the records he or she wants via checkbox/flag or whatever i would like to have them click a button that would send their selection to another table.

I will need to keep up with what they select. The table they are filtering on will change daily (sql linked table) as data gets added/deleter by another app and i cant edit those records.

Thanks for the replies everyone!!!

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Mike,
    Please describe what you mean by send to another in simple non-database terms.

For example, suppose Isaac has selected records 3,15 and 46 --- to whom and why would he "send them"? What is the business process behind this?

Sorry for the confusion. Let's say I need to build an Access based app that allows users to select drawing packages to print out. These drawing packages require a special kind of printer so once a user (Isaac) selects the drawing packages they get sent to the "print" department and they print them out since they control the special printer. The drawing packages will not be printed out using this application. This app will just serve as a way for Isaac to record the packages he needs and the print department to get a list to print out.

When Isaac opens Access he will be presented with a form. At the top of the form the Isaac will need to select criteria that will query a SQL table and presenthim with the results. I'd like the results to be displayed on the same screen like a datasheet view but that's not a requirement. The results of this query could be 10 records or 100 records based on the criteria Isaac selected. For this example, lets say Isaac criteria selection gives him 10 records and Isaac only needs to print 6 of them so he will need to edit the results and I thought a checkbox would work here. After he selects the 6 records I was thinking he would click on a "submit" button that would simply store the records in a local table.

The print department would have a separate form based on the local table just created/updated Mary in the print dept will simply view the print packages and mark with a timestamp when the package was printed.

I'm just not sure what type of form I need to create for Isaac. Currently my form has 3 combo boxes and 2 text boxes that the user can select a date range. The form queries a linked SQL table. The form works fine and I get the results in a separate window. I've played around with subforms but haven't had much success. When I Isaac make his selection of 6 records I imagine I need some sort of update query that will update a table.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    If the sql table is read only or additional fields cannot be added, then yes, you need a local table. If that table had what I'd call a 'flag' field (could be a simple checkbox) in addition to whatever other fields are required from the sql table, you could flag the records for packages to be printed. It seems that a "Printed" (PrintedDate?) field is also necessary so that printed packages can be identified. Mary's view of the form based on these records could have all fields but the date field locked if necessary, thus only allowing her to modify 1 field, whatever that may be. I don't see why you couldn't use a main form for filtering and a continuous sub form for selecting - and that's pretty much it based on my interpretation of your process explanation.

You don't really need a submit button (on its own) if the form is bound as each record is committed after you navigate or click off of it. Close would do.
    Last edited by Micron; 06-24-2019 at 08:01 AM. Reason: spelin and gramur

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.