MaxQTime is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Showing Sub Form In Countinuous Sub Form

So here is what I am trying to accomplish, and I might be going about this the wrong way as well.

I have a form for data entry, to enter new jobs into the system. Once the target date for the job is entered I have a subform showing all of the jobs scheduled for that date, plus the total size and value for the jobs on that date. This is so the person entering the jobs and scheduling them can change the target date.

However, each job can have sections and I would like to show the sections of the jobs scheduled for that date as well. I can not for the life of me figure out how to get this to work, I've tried putting the subform in the page footer and form footer because I read somewhere that it would help.

If anyone knows any solutions to this, please help.

Thank you.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    If a "section" is what I equate to a work order task then I envision a main form (single job record) with a task/section subform (single record) with navigation because it's the many relationship to the single job, and if necessary, a subform below that if there are multiple child records related to a section/task. I don't think it matters if they're all in the header or not since any form with a multiple record view would be on it's own sub form.

Perhaps the level of detail for the job is greater than what you show later (the part where you mention entering dates), in which case a different view once the job has been entered. If that's not close, I guess I didn't understand your explanation as the description of the process is just a bit vague to me.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    It sounds like you have the gist of what I have going on. However I want to be able to display all of the jobs scheduled for a certain day, and show all of the sections for each of those jobs. The sections of the jobs are linked to each job in tables.

I was hoping to get it to look like;

Job JobInfo
    Section A
    Section B
    Section C
    Job JobInfo
    Section A
    Section B
    Section C

etc, etc

Windows 10 Access 2016
    You'd need a form for schedules, which you haven't mentioned, that possibly doubles as the form for inputting scheduling data in the first place. As for the rest of it, without a good amount of sample data or a pic, I don't know what to say and be able to offer any degree of certainty. Only you know what this picture ought to look like, whereas I have no clue what section data even looks like.
    But to try and keep it simple, to get something that looks like what you posted, I think the answer might be a subform (section stuff) in a subform (job stuff) on a main form as I don't see how you can repeat the job info without embedded sub forms. Have to say I've never done that, preferring to avoid such things, so it's a guess. On the other hand, you never stated why a form. If only for display, use a report. It can give you this quite easily.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Is there a way to display and update a report on a form? I've never thought about doing it that way.

The idea is that as the scheduler inputs the job and the target date it will show all of the jobs for that date, allowing them to change the target date if needed.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I have tried to put a report on a form just for the heck of it but didn't get it to work. But I asked if only display was the goal, which it seems it is not because you want to update dates, so a report seems pointless.

Create a replica of what you want as a spreadsheet and post that or a pic of it, or research sub forms and their layouts. The nature of your component parts and their relationships are still not clear to me.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.