Andrew_A is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Appending Data to Existing Table Matched by Primary Key

Greetings and thank you for all of your time. I am a complete newbie here so thank you in advance for your time!

I have a table (tblCertDivData) that warehouses annual data containing stock certificate data, that include the Certificate ID (Primary Key) and then annually, 4 rows pertaining to Share Dividends, Cash Equivalencies, Share Balances and Cash Balances. This table (tblCertDivData) holds every years set of data since 2004 through 2017. Currently the newly calculated 2018 data is generated first in MS Excel. I've successfully imported the new 2018 data into my Access database as a new table (2018_Append_Data) and am attempting to append my tblCertDivData table with this new information, matching it via the common Certificate ID. In excel I would just index and match the two worksheets to the the data but in Access I am stuck.

So far I have built an Append Query to attempt move my 2018 data into my larger table but i get ever validation error. In the past I've always just imported ALL the certificate data fresh into the table with the new data but there has got to be an easier way than rebuilding it every year.

Thank you so much for you time and patience with me!

Regards,

Andrew
    Last edited by Andrew_A; 06-13-2019 at 07:42 AM. Reason: spelling error

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    You would normally achieve this with a Join in a query and a search for non existing (null) values.

It might help to see the structure of the tables involved and the fields you are trying to update / insert.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.