bossysheryl is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013 32bit

How do I use one query to prompt a user to choose a correct parameter in different query?

This is another problem I'm sure I solved years ago, and now I just can't remember how to do it because I've been away from Access every day for so long.

My tblLanguageStandards contains 4 fields:

• AUTOID, which captured the data in the order we added it
    • strLanguage (what we call it in English, i.e., Japanese)
    • strLabel (what the other speaker calls it natively, i.e., 日本語
    • strTrack_Language, which is a standardized tag we use to identify the language that the subtitle track is displaying. Some of these are strictly internal reference, some of them are ISO; all of these tags pull out into customized video players so not making any changes to these is a cost decision.

I built qselLanguage to alpha sort strLanguage, as the basis for a dropdown menu on a subform that allows the user choose the normalized strTrack_Language value on a form where new tracks can be added, or old info can be corrected. All working great. The label field is pulling to reports correctly, etc.

But it appears that others are going to want to look at this, who will likely have no idea what these tags are. The initial plan was only a few users who already know the internal Track Language tags would be using this.

So....how do I build the parameter in the query grid so that it pulls qselLanguages into the parameter popup, and lets the user choose? It will end as a snapshot view; nobody will be able to edit anything in this datasheet.

Thanks for the help.

Sheryl

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Not sure I'm following why query. Seems the interface could/should be a form with some logic to ensure selections were appropriate. Perhaps more info, or an example would be helpful. Or maybe someone else who understands the issue as described will respond.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I avoid dynamic parameterized queries as a general practice.
    I definitely would not use popup input parameters in queries because cannot validate user input. Inputs should be via form controls.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    based on your post it would seem you ought to be able to add the "sensible" values to the existing combo on the form you already have
    the basis for a dropdown menu on a subform
    You can hide (or not) the "cryptic" values and still make use of whatever field the bound column is already set to, while displaying the more intuitive values. More info on the design would be required to be more specific than that, assuming I'm on the right path.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.