fishhead is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

MSYS tables (mystery tables)

I have an application that is running very slowly and i noticed there are BE tables that i have not created.
    when i open these tables they are clearly created by MSAccess itself as they are not anything i would have created.

I took a copy of the BE files and deleted the data in the tables (that i could - as some of the tables would not allow me to delete anything)
    and the application seems to be working lighting fast now!

I'm afraid If I do this to my main BE tables i may cause a problem i can't fix so i'd like someones feedback on what the following are and what the implications are if i delete the records (that i am allowed to delete) in these tables:

MSysAccessStorage
    MsysAccessXML

MsysACEs
    MSysComplexColumns
    MSysNameMap
    MSysNavPaneGroupCategories
    MSysNavPaneGroups
    MSysNavPaneGroupToObjects
    MSysNavPaneObjectIDs
    MSysObjects
    MSysQueries
    MSysRelationships
    MSysResources

again i didn't create any of these and would like to know the implications of me deleting the records contained in these tables (as when i do on test data the application functions very fast (as it should).

thanks,
    STeve

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    System tables are created by Access and are normally hidden.
    They are needed for Access to function correctly and most cannot be edited.
    Even if you can edit them, it is a mistake to do so unless you understand exactly what you are doing which clearly isn't the case here.

In certain cases, any data you've edited will be automatically restored anyway.
    In other cases, deleted records will cause issues at some point in the future when you need the item they referenced.

What you've done is almost certainly not the cause of any performance improvement.

If you want to know almost everything about system tables (and there are far more than those you've listed), read the Purpose of System Tables article on my website
    http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/p...les/4594446646

I would also suggest that in future you research before taking drastic action!
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Quote Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
    System tables are created by Access and are normally hidden.
    They are needed for Access to function correctly and most cannot be edited.
    Even if you can edit them, it is a mistake to do so unless you understand exactly what you are doing which clearly isn't the case here.

In certain cases, any data you've edited will be automatically restored anyway.
    In other cases, deleted records will cause issues at some point in the future when you need the item they referenced.

What you've done is almost certainly not the cause of any performance improvement.

If you want to know almost everything about system tables (and there are far more than those you've listed), read the Purpose of System Tables article on my website
    http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/p...les/4594446646

I would also suggest that in future you research before taking drastic action!
    thanks for the feedback. I only deleted them from a COPY of the files in question. I didn't do anything with my actual "live" data (yet).
    Can you tell me what the worst case scenario would be if i deleted these though? (in 1 table there is over 20,000 records)

Worst case scenario? Your database would become permanently corrupted / unuseable
    Depends which tables you delete records from.
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

Quote Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
    Worst case scenario? Your database would become permanently corrupted / unuseable
    Depends which tables you delete records from.
    ok you just scared me into submission.... : )

Excellent. That was the intention.
    You would suffer little damage with a few of the system tables but it isn't worth the risk ...and there are almost no advantages.
    If you look at my article there are actually about 10 system tables that are so protected you can't even view them in the nav pane (except by very devious means) and its even harder to view the contents.
    For example f_....(long string here)..._Data and other tables used for memo field column history, attachment fields & MVFs
    Despite all that protection, those tables are actually editable if you know how to view them! Go figure!

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    As Colin stated just don't fiddle with them.

Your performance issues will not be down to system tables.
    What is the nature of the issue, a certain form takes ages to load?
    A query times out or takes minutes to run?

What is your setup - where is the BE stored relative to the FE that are accessing it?
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    if your database is suffering performance issues and deleting items from the system tables helped, I would be shocked unless you got extremely lucky. As others have mentioned you really do not want to edit these tables unless you know exactly what you're doing.

I would I would suspect is you accidentally did something akin to a compact/repair on a table that was going to get repopulated when you re-opened the database.

I would suggest you use the compact/repair tool on it's own on a copy of your database and see if you see the same performance increase. If that works and nothing bad happens to your live data perform the same action on your live data. Access bloats over time (up to about 2gb in size) and as it gets bigger you may have real performance issues. Compact/repair should be a regular part of your database maintenance if it is not already.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post

...where is the BE stored relative to the FE that are accessing it?
    I suspect that this may very well have something to do with your problem.

Also, where were the copies of the BE files located when the app ran so much faster...on the same drive as the originals...on a different drive...on the same drive as the FE?

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.