Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    pdanes is offline Competent Performer
    Windows Vista Access 2007

Quote Originally Posted by isladogs View Post
    My point was that I felt that part of your comments were unnecessary in this context.
    Oh, I get it. Yes, I can see how that might have seemed to be sniping at others in this thread. Sorry about that, such was not at all my intent.

I was trying to encourage the OP to get started on SQL Server. I have experienced such churlish responses in a few forums (admittedly, not often), and didn't want him to get discouraged if he ran into one of these trolls right away.

Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    pdanes must not have liked my statement about my experience:
    Didn't mean to imply OP shouldn't do it, just that it is not as straightforward as Access for initial setup and to expect a challenge.

Not at all - sorry for the confusion. I have had similar experiences - installation is not something I have to do very often, and it can be tricky. My statement was just a general caution, not in the least targeting anyone in this thread.

There was nothing wrong with saying that in my opinion. If you only install SQL Server occasionally, it can be somewhat tricky making the right decisions at each stage.
    I think the advice given by everyone has been informative and positive...with the exception of the unnecessary negative comments by pdanes as quoted by ajax
    My comments were not negative, quite the opposite - I was trying to encourage the OP to get started on SQL Server. It was just a warning that he will sometimes see negative comments from people who feel that they are superior to others, because they use different software, or come from different backgrounds. I have run into snobs who start a diatribe as soon as they read the word Access, and he will undoubtedly experience the same, if he becomes active in SQL Server forums.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Quote Originally Posted by pdanes View Post
    My comments were not negative, quite the opposite - I was trying to encourage the OP to get started on SQL Server. It was just a warning that he will sometimes see negative comments from people who feel that they are superior to others, because they use different software, or come from different backgrounds. I have run into snobs who start a diatribe as soon as they read the word Access, and he will undoubtedly experience the same, if he becomes active in SQL Server forums.
    I'm pleased to hear your comments quoted earlier were not intended as criticism of anyone who had responded but that's not how that section came across.
    The rest of your post was helpful.
    Whilst many of us have experienced put downs at various forums e.g. Stackoverflow, references to 'snarky remarks' and 'toads' unrelated to this thread were unhelpful at best and a distraction from the point of the thread
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

There was nothing wrong with saying that in my opinion. If you only install SQL Server occasionally, it can be somewhat tricky making the right decisions at each stage.
    I think the advice given by everyone has been informative and positive...with the exception of the unnecessary negative comments by pdanes as quoted by ajax
    AND, in fact, my very first response was "Nor do I see any such remarks." I think your additional remark calling my post unnecessary and negative was itself unnecessary and negative.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Fair enough...
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.