sparkyinak is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Shall I even bother with Sharepoint?

I am spearheading an Access database build of hundreds of documents that I was planning on setting up the backend on SharePoint that we would need to purchase. As I do research in the SharePoint, I'm seeing issues after issues with the Access/SharePoint relationship which has me wondering is it worth it and what other options we have?

We are a small non-profit and have Office 365 service where the OneDrive is more than enough for our document storage. My sole purpose for possibly getting SharePoint for our members have easy access to the records in the Access database since we can only store Access files in the OneDrive. Currently we can only move the file to and from the OneDrive to the computer and that can take several minutes at a time and potentially allow data to be lost or over written.

I understand there are other servers I can use but I am concern with cost and the protection of personal information in the files. It sounds like what I read (on the internet) that Microsoft is moving away from the Access/Sharepoint relationship, and if they are, what is their planned alternative or am I over thinking the issues and should proceed with SharePoint

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    I would suggest you use SQL Server Express which is free and will likely more than satisfy your needs for many years.
    It is stable, works well with Access, will not have data corruption issues such as those you will get with One Drive.
    The max size of a SSE database is 10GB
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I’m not familiar with SQL Sever Express plus the DB contains PPI so security is paramount

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    If security is important then SQL Server is an excellent choice.
    Its much more secure than Access.
    I've never used Sharepoint so I can't comment on that
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Currently we can only move the file to and from the OneDrive to the computer
    That is all you should ever do from OneDrive. Do not operate db from OneDrive, although I don't get the impression that you split the db anyway.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Not yet. Just exploring it. The more I look into, Sharepoint may not be the route fore me to take. Currently exploring SQL Express instead. Thanx all for the feedback

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.