k11ngy is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Creating tables from 1 x Text file (Design)

Views: 8 Size: 126.9 KB">1901DATA.txt

I am kind of getting there with this Text file and fields but just wanted some friendly advice on what tables and fields would be required. Really struggling. Think I worked out tenant and Owner tables ok but getting mixed up somewhat with property and rental table, assuming that's what I am supposed to do

Appreciate any help on the design and relationships

Thanks

Steve

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    This looks like it's an extract of a different database, is there a reason you're trying to break it up again instead of using the original data source?

At a minimum, based on what I'm seeing in this data you will need:

1. A property table where the propertyID is the primary key, depending on how your units are structured this may also include the PropertyTypeID if it applies to all units on the property
    2. A property unit table with a foreign key to the property table, this table would store things like apartment number, or room number, number of bedrooms, base rental cost, etc.. This may also include the PropertyTypeID if the property type of a single unit is different than the PropertyID of the entire property itself.
    3. A tenant table with the TenantID is the primary key, this would contain the persons renting units first name, last name, phone contact, email contact, etc.
    4. An owner table where OwnerID is the primary key, this table would contain the owner's name or company name, who the contact for the owner is, etc
    5. A property type table where PropertyTypeID is the primary key
    6. A tenant rental table, this would be a junction table between your tenant table and the property unit table, this would include things like the start and end date of the lease agreement, the agreed rate if different than the base rate of the unit, etc.

k11ngy is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Tables

Hi, thank you so much. I will look at this today. Original database, I only have a text file and have been told I must break this data up into different tables and create relationships. I am able to use make table queries to create the tables from the source but I was unsure how they would look. I do appreciate help and hopefully I can resolve

Thank you kindly

Steve

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.