Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    geotrouvetout67 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I was able to reproduce this on my database with basic information then it goes south when I try to elaborate to real life.

First problem, ItemID is a short text of 11 digits with dashes such as 12-3456-7890-1. The code would not copy the string into tblBaseReport, but actually calculate it, so my example would become "-11335"

Then it got worst when I tried to add other fields that I need, such as VendorID, which is also a short text.

I need to add VendorID, ItemDescription, QtyToOrder [this is the pallet equivalent in individual units], NeededDate and LeadTimeDate.

The field QtyToOrder would have to split equivalent to the pallet qty (OrderQty) split or instead I could calculate it back using the pallet qty X Multiples, then I would just need to add the "Multiples" field in both tables instead of "QtyToOrder".

Here's how I modified the code with just VendorID.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	49.2 KB 
ID:	38471

When I run it it gives me the following error (what is grayed out is the VendorID string)

Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	38472

The other strange thing, if I revert the changes by deleting what I added and save, it still won't work unless I delete all, copy and paste your original code again.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    item 1, change the data type in tblBaseReport so all the field types match your source data and all these problems should be moot.

Any changes of data type will also have to be altered in the SQL statement builder to include ' or " marks

Example:

sSQL = "INSERT INTO tblTEST (TextField, NumberField, DateField) VALUES (""" & TextValue & """," & NumberValue & ",#" & DateValue & "#)"

or, if your text strings never have a ' mark in them

sSQL = "INSERT INTO tblTEST (TextField, NumberField, DateField) VALUES ('" & TextValue & "'," & NumberValue & ",#" & DateValue & "#)"

I have no idea what you mean by:

The field QtyToOrder would have to split equivalent to the pallet qty (OrderQty) split or instead I could calculate it back using the pallet qty X Multiples, then I would just need to add the "Multiples" field in both tables instead of "QtyToOrder".

Windows 10 Access 2016
    My field types were ok but the error was coming from the SQL statement, VendorID worked after correcting per your instructions, I'll add the rest.

Here's what I mean

Data is as following

itemID / QtyToOrder / Pallet Count / Sum of Pallets

item01 / 10,000 / 2 / 2
    item01 / 5,000 / 1 / 3
    item02 / 30,000 / 30 / 33

So where it splits at item02 = 23 (23+3=26) on page 1 and = 7 (balance) on page 2, it also has to split the amount of units it represents (QtyToOrder), therefore 23,000 on page 1 and 7,000 on page 2, but that would require complicating the code so instead I'm thinking of simply adding the field "Multiples", which I have in my DB, so I can just calculate it back like

QtyToOrder=[Pallet Count] x [Multiples], so here 23 x 1,000 = 23,000 and 7 x 1,000 = 7,000

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    You don't need to do that. You can just take a percentage of the qtytoorder and apply that amount to your temp table as well.

In other words your palletcount equates to the field orderqty in my example
    Just add another field to the temp table to hold the actual quantity of items something like 'Itemqty' then calculate how many items are in the group based on the number of pallets

i.e. (30,000/33) = items per pallet
    items per pallet * 30 = number of items in the pallet in truck 1

Windows 10 Access 2016
    That's another way but bringing the "Multiples" field in the table worked fine too.

Everything works on the dummy report now and I added the fields I needed. I changed the "ORDER BY [IdemID]" with ORDER BY [NeededDate]". Sorting by ItemID was not pulling the trucks in the correct order of due dates (sooner first) but NeededDate does the trick. Except I have not yet figured out the "PageNum Footer", I see the grouping but not how to insert the footer yet.

I have one more question, if I wanted to change the button with a combo box, how would I tell the combo box to trigger the event? As I am building these reports they will possibly grow to an uncomfortable level to keep buttons on the switchboard form so I'm thinking about triggering reports by selecting them from combo boxes instead.

I found this thread on the subject
    https://www.access-programmers.co.uk...d.php?t=295138

Thank you

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I posted screen shots of how you get the page break inserted into your report. Reference that to force a new page, if you can't find it in your ribbon bar do a web search for 'MS access <version number> insert page break"

You have not mentioned any reports except this one, there is no need to have a button for every report, you just have to have a selection window for the order you want to print, in other words one combo box (to pick the order) one button to produce the report. You just have to change the criteria in the query

Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM tblBase WHERE [ORDERID] = " & forms!frmreport!cboOrderSelector & " ORDER BY [ItemID]")

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I know how to insert a break and saw your screen shot but I am missing the footer for some reason. I have "PageNum Header" but do not have "PageNum Footer", can't figure out why yet.

Yours

Name:	Capture2.JPG 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	38475

Mine

Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	38476

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    right click on your report
    choose 'sorting and grouping'
    a little window will appear at the bottom of your screen
    choose the group

you'll have a little menu directly to the right where you can choose to show/hide group headers and footer.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Found it, the selection was "without footer selection".

The report is working like I needed which will save me time going forward and I learned a lot in the process. I have not tried figuring out the menu part yet, I'll have to finish my reports before working on that.

Thank you so much for your generous help, I very much appreciate it.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    mark the thread solved!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by rpeare View Post
    mark the thread solved!
    This is working very well, I was able to tweak everything to my db, thank you again.

This being said I do not fully understand how this code actually works and it bothers me... if you have time, would you mind describing your code?

TIA

Windows 10 Access 2016
    @ rpeare, today I came across a strange issue with this code. The loop does not seem to work if any line item is > 52 (2x iPalMax). It usually does not happen, except it did today because an item was not properly set up and came in with a huge qty to order, 1344 pallets.

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	39694

So in tblBase I have that 1 line with a 1344 order quantity and on the report table tblBaseReport, it introduced negative quantities in [OrderQty]

The first page works, 18 pallets of item 1 then 8 of that "bad" item, 18+6 = 26.

From there it's assigning 1336 to page (PageNum) 2 (1344-8) then -1310 to the second item because 1336-1310 = 26 while it should in fact split the remainder 1336 into multiples of 26 on each subsequent page.

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	14 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	39693

Here's the current full code

Code:
    Private Sub Vendor_NameReport()

Dim rst
    Dim iPalMax, iPalCurr, iQty, iPage As Long

DoCmd.SetWarnings False

CurrentDb.Execute "DELETE * FROM tblVendor_NameBase"
    DoCmd.OpenQuery "Vendor_NameTotblBase"

Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT * FROM tblVendor_NameBase WHERE [ORDERID] = 1 ORDER BY [LatestNeededDate]")
    iPalMax = 26
    iPalCurr = 0
    iPage = 1

CurrentDb.Execute "DELETE * FROM tblBaseVendor_NameReport"

Do While rst.EOF <> True
        iQty = rst!OrderQty
        If iPalCurr + iQty <= iPalMax Then
            CurrentDb.Execute "INSERT INTO tblBaseVendor_NameReport (OrderID, ItemID, OrderQty, PageNum, VendorID, ItemDescription, Multiples, LatestNeededDate, LeadTimeDate, RefreshDate) VALUES (" & rst!OrderID & ",""" & rst!ItemID & """," & iQty & "," & iPage & ",""" & rst!VendorID & """, '" & rst!ItemDescription & "', " & rst!Multiples & ", #" & rst!LatestNeededDate & "#, #" & rst!LeadTimeDate & "#, #" & rst!RefreshDate & "#)"
            iPalCurr = iPalCurr + iQty
            If iPalCurr = iPalMax Then
                iPage = iPage + 1
                iPalCurr = 0
            End If
        Else
            CurrentDb.Execute "INSERT INTO tblBaseVendor_NameReport (OrderID, ItemID, OrderQty, PageNum, VendorID, ItemDescription, Multiples, LatestNeededDate, LeadTimeDate, RefreshDate) VALUES (" & rst!OrderID & ",""" & rst!ItemID & """," & iPalMax - iPalCurr & "," & iPage & ",""" & rst!VendorID & """, '" & rst!ItemDescription & "', " & rst!Multiples & ", #" & rst!LatestNeededDate & "#, #" & rst!LeadTimeDate & "#, #" & rst!RefreshDate & "#)"
            iQty = iQty - (iPalMax - iPalCurr)
            iPage = iPage + 1
            CurrentDb.Execute "INSERT INTO tblBaseVendor_NameReport (OrderID, ItemID, OrderQty, PageNum, VendorID, ItemDescription, Multiples, LatestNeededDate, LeadTimeDate, RefreshDate) VALUES (" & rst!OrderID & ",""" & rst!ItemID & """," & iQty & "," & iPage & ",""" & rst!VendorID & """, '" & rst!ItemDescription & "', " & rst!Multiples & ", #" & rst!LatestNeededDate & "#, #" & rst!LeadTimeDate & "#, #" & rst!RefreshDate & "#)"
            iPalCurr = iQty
        End If
        rst.MoveNext
    Loop

DoCmd.SetWarnings True

DoCmd.OpenReport "rptVENDOR_NAME", acViewReport

End Sub

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    if you can post a sample of the database with something replicating this problem I will take a look but honestly I do not keep any of the stuff I write for this forum with some rare exceptions.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I can and I have that file ready, however I am unable to remove the file's personal information from it while at work, I'll see if I can do it from home tonight.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    There is a post in code repository here for randomizing data. You might be able to make use of it. On my phone now so can't look for a link.
    EDIT

https://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=77482
    Last edited by Micron; 09-10-2019 at 09:12 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.