pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003

Complex search through strings in records

The following is a somewhat complex search method to search for specific string values within a set of records. You can designate what strings to search for, what values to exclude, and what fields to save values when found after a specific string match.

This is more for analyzing/searching through event logs or non-typical imported strings to find specific values and save them into fields, excluding odd characters such as: ,;'

Example, you have a set of records which have string values such as:

The message FAILED with a RC:1 AT: 23:44 in from S:TCDNM01, on ....
    The message SUCCEEDED with a value of RC: 231 at the time of: 13:44 am in from S:TCDNM01, on ....

and you want to save the value 1 after RC: and the value 23:44 after AT:
    and you want to save the value 231 after RC: and 13:44 after of:

(and the message can be constructed differently for each record)

Chevlion42 is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Possibility of adapting your search method?

Thank you for posting this. I think your method might address a concern I've been researching and trying to figure out for months.

I'm building an Access 2000 file format database for a membership organization which is beginning a mentoring program (I started building it in Access 2003 but my office upgraded to Office 2007 a few months ago). The 3 key tables are Mentees (people requesting mentors), Mentors (people wanting to be mentors), and Mentoring Categories (subjects for which mentoring is available). What I've built so far is suitable for keeping track of the two groups of people and maintaining the list of mentoring categories. However, I also want to be able to search the mentors table and pull up possible matches for new mentees. Ideally, that search would also generate a report of any matches made.

The fact that your example creates a separate table where the search results are stored leads me to believe that it could be adapted to my database. Do you agree?

If your method isn't appropriate for what I'm trying to accomplish, is there another method I could use?

I would appreciate any advice or direction you might be able to offer. In the 6 months that I've been working on this database, your method is the closest to the kind of searching that I have in mind that I've been able to find.

Thanks again for doing your posting.

P S: I have attached screenshots of each of the 3 tables in my question above - Mentees, Mentoring Categories, and Mentors - to my reply posting.

pkstormy is offline Access/SQL Server Expert
    Windows XP Access 2003

Search method

Quote Originally Posted by Chevlion42 View Post
    Thank you for posting this. I think your method might address a concern I've been researching and trying to figure out for months.

I'm building an Access 2000 file format database for a membership organization which is beginning a mentoring program (I started building it in Access 2003 but my office upgraded to Office 2007 a few months ago). The 3 key tables are Mentees (people requesting mentors), Mentors (people wanting to be mentors), and Mentoring Categories (subjects for which mentoring is available). What I've built so far is suitable for keeping track of the two groups of people and maintaining the list of mentoring categories. However, I also want to be able to search the mentors table and pull up possible matches for new mentees. Ideally, that search would also generate a report of any matches made.

The fact that your example creates a separate table where the search results are stored leads me to believe that it could be adapted to my database. Do you agree?

If your method isn't appropriate for what I'm trying to accomplish, is there another method I could use?

I would appreciate any advice or direction you might be able to offer. In the 6 months that I've been working on this database, your method is the closest to the kind of searching that I have in mind that I've been able to find.

Thanks again for doing your posting.

P S: I have attached screenshots of each of the 3 tables in my question above - Mentees, Mentoring Categories, and Mentors - to my reply posting.
    You may want to opt for an easier search method. This is more or less designed to be flexible with finding the next X number of characters in a string value after it finds a match on a designated character (which could be a variety of different characters.) It utilizes tables to hold the string characters to search for and is designed to search through inconsistent strings. There are a bit easier methods for searching on the data you illustrated. I'd post your question in the forums to see the responses you'd get.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.