Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Guinea is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 Access 2007

Well I am not worried about the appearance of the table, because all of the data is entered in forms. The templates create very clean forms to enter New Student data or New Meeting data. That is why I combined the templates. The problem is just trying to reference the Meetings through the Student form.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Hmmm...I'm reminded of the saying: "We never have time do do it right but always find time to do it over and over again".

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Ok? Not exactly a productive comment, but thanks anyways.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    You are welcome to kludge your system together any way you choose. I see our task to gently guide people in the correct direction. If you choose to follow another path, then so be it.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    My frustration is warranted. The goal is simple...documenting a roster and keeping it accurate. Then documenting meeting topics that are discussed on a per meeting basis. Then correspond the roster's members to each individual meeting to determine if they were present that day. My ending goal is to be able to print off 2 different kinds of reports. One is a roster...which is easy enough. Another is a document for every meeting. The document would list the members that were present (An IF statement perhaps to only display the present members for that particular meeting) and then below that, to display the topics discussed in that meeting. Those are the two kinds of reports I want to be able to print. And I just want to have to edit the Student entry and create a meeting entry every time we have a meeting.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    I'm not arguing the complexity of your goal but *simple* is one of those relative words than can get complicated. I now find it simple to drive a car but that was not always the case. Designing a running RDBMS is not a simple task.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Well if it was simple, I wouldn't be here, that isn't exactly what I meant. I am making progress through trial and error though. I have developed an easier method. But to put it into effect is another task altogether. Basically, There is a report that is set up to show "Today's Event". That report could be used to print out the Roster/Meeting information sheet. On that form, I am going to add a subform in the page header linking to another report that displays a roster based on date. Or maybe I would have to use a Query to use IF statements on whether a person was present. If they were, it would list the person and then I could use that query to build a report. Then use that report as my subform. Is that possible? If it was, I could actually set up a macro to print that specific form when I select a meeting...so I would only need to add new meetings.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Properly normalized tables are pretty easy to get data out of in practically any way you can think of. You pretty much lost me with that last post.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Ok a simpler issue I am having is this. One table is for the Student data, the other is for the attendance data. I want the attendance data to have a column that displays the Students position (President, VP etc). I want the Attendance table to pull the data from the Student table....how can I do that?

Windows 7 Access 2007
    I'm off to a function that will last several hours. I'll check in when I get back. Sorry.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Joining the Student's table with the Attendance table would make it seem as though it was one table so you can display any field from either table.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Not what I meant. I want to develop a query that looks like this:

Name Position Date Status
    Me Recording Officer 08/28/2010 Present

The query would pull the Name, Date and Status information from the Student Attendance table which is automatically filled in by the Attendance form. How do I get the correct Positions to match the names accordingly? So anytime my name pops up on attendance, my position is automatically filled in from a separate table.... Or how can I add the position data from that separate table to the Attendance table?

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Is the Position in the Student table?

Windows 7 Access 2007
    Yes. I basically want to pull data from two different tables into one query. And have the Position data from one table match the Name of the person from the Attendance table. So every time my name came up, it would show my position next to my name.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    You should have the Student PrimaryKey in the Attendence table as a ForeignKey field and join the two tables together on that ForeignKey field in a query.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.