Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Tradesman is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    sorry about my obsession with forms i was trying to explain how it would work when in use.

I can see running a process where i query the table by follow up date - using the oldest and running through them by phone/email trying to establish quotes etc.

i focus on action required by dates separate basis

thanks for spending the time looking -

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I have not found a data model at Barry Williams' site (DatabaseAnswers.org) matching your needs.

I have tried to summarize your posts and comments to determine your "business".
    This is what I have

You are a Supplier of Products/Goods
    You have a list of Retailers/Contacts to whom you Sell or would like to Sell Products/Goods
    You call the Contacts to review their needs for Product(s)
    You retain information about calls(date/subject/followup..)
    This info could be a Quote, a Order or general comments
    You review your call list and may re-call Contacts periodically

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi Orange- exactly that

i set a follow up date from the call log for when i need to recontact them - i set a action required by date for specific tasks as these may be different. sometimes there are no action required dates but there always is a follow up date

Ok. Here is a draft model based on your comments. I may have interpreted some of your statements incorrectly and/or my picture of your "business" may be incorrect in several areas. This sort of model is what I was suggesting along with some sample data and sample scenarios--then play "stump the model".
    Your description did not indicate where your quotes or orders go once received. So I have ignored details for order fulfillment, invoicing etc. I tried to provide maximum scope for your call log activity. In the model you should ignore datatypes and field sizes--they were defaults supplied by the software I am using. And, until you have vetted the model, such detail can be ignored.
    As has been said in the thread, getting the tables and relationships designed and vetted to meet your business needs is key. Queries, forms and reports will come, but the table structures are critical and are an essential first step.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DraftModelCallLog.PNG 
Views:	38 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	39113

This is a draft model. You can remove, add, delete, edit as you wish to make it support your proposed needs.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by orange; 07-17-2019 at 09:30 AM. Reason: spelling

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi Orange- thats fascinating - I read the stump the model and reminds me of my days doing science at school. wokring through the iterations to see where the model falls over - or needs enhancing .
    Your correct in assuming i wasnt planning on logging quotes etc as these would generally be specific and/or catalogues so a simple filename would be sufficent in a comments table.
    Being new to this I assume tbis is a kind of workflow detailing the logic and routes the data would take - witg the tables being built to complement this- If i may ill take a look at this ( which is completly new to me ) and as mentioned detail on a flow simialr to what youve done how it would work and then hopefully we can see if we can stump the model!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    So Ive gone throught he flow chart of what I want to do - Im now struggling through the emchanics of enterign data. where can i check how to do this any pointers. the relationships are spot on.
    But for some reason i cant update all the sections i want on one form?
    for example i had a data input form for the following

comment and date from the comment table
    contact name ,mobile,email fromt he contacts table( these i want to select from a drop down box )
    contact type,contact type date,follow update from the call log table
    what am i doing wrong!!
    i bet its a simple error

The diagram in post #64 is not a workflow. It is a data model based on your description of the business.
    Have you identified your data entry activities? It will most likely involve more than 1 form.

You may want to create a data flow diagram (sample) to show the actual/proposed movement of data.

Your scenarios for the stump the model should have identified some of the things you need to
    --input data(form)
    --get info out (form/report)

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi Orange - they sure did - I just dont know now how to input them with a screen showing the relevant details!

result- a report showing follow up dates ( i think this is easy its very much excel type ) - i run down this and recontact

call log screen

i use this to contact the customers then show what action happened - so this will have details from customer contact table-call log and somewhere to add a cpmment and comment date to the comment table.

this is where I get stuck - i can use subforms etc to do this - bit for some reason i cant get data to enter - also when ive created a subform i add a new record button for example and this doesnt show up.

this should be easy but I am cross eyed with frustration!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi Basic workflow

Name:	basic workflow.PNG 
Views:	25 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	39322

Minty is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I think you are making this overly complicated.

Assuming you have your contacts and data set up correctly, your form could automatically simply list the contacts requiring a call in order, and let you enter the contact results.
    It could be set to highlight/colour overdue calls , and pending ones in order.
    Once that record updated and refreshed, it would move to the bottom of your list awaiting the next call, or be removed by some status flag set to "inactive" or "no more follow up".

If you need to call back sooner, the date you enter as the follow up date would influence the records position in the form after refresh.
    DLookup Syntax and others http://access.mvps.org/access/general/gen0018.htm
    Please use the star below the post to say thanks if we have helped !
    ↓↓ It's down here ↓↓

Windows 10 Access 2016
    yes - as well as operating as a contact database that would work I'm removing the seperate comments table.

any pointers how to do the above - or is this part of a query report?

Can you post a copy of your current database (zip format) along with a specific example (plain English using some of your data) of what you want? It's difficult to offer suggestions without a copy of what you are dealing with.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    tblCustomers aug27th.zipHi - I was over elaborating what I was trying to do.

I've re-engineered it - however while doing it i've done something that I cannot fix!

could someone help me fix it - I've linked contact ID to customerID

Dont know how to link contactID back to contact ID on the calllog form!

Its driving me loopy-I remember a box opening but thats it!

now when i add a callog comment i get

Name:	db fault.PNG 
Views:	13 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	39595

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Im that frustrated it fou can fix it and add customer name to the sheet ill donate to a charity!

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    The main problem is that the Record Source for form "callloginput v1" is

Name:	FormQuery1.png 
Views:	10 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	39599
    You cannot have two PK fields tied to one FK field.
    The general rule is "One form, one table", so I would remove "TblCustomer1" from the query.

But I think there is also a design error. I would have another table (a junction table) that links "TblCustomer1" to "TblCustomerContacts1". A Sub Form based on the table "CallLogtbl" would add the comments and the dates.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.