HarryZ is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007

Need assistance with generating a report

Aloha! First post here. I have a little bit of Access knowledge gained from working with it for some time, but I need help with a new project.

I am the registrar for a car show. I gather entrants data (first name, last name, car make, model, year, etc.) in an Excel spreadsheet, and use Access to generate reports to help run the show. I would like to add a new report which will require input from a second Excel spreadsheet and I have no idea how to do this.

The first spreadsheet has the Car Number plus the details about the car (owner name, make, model, year, etc). The second spreadsheet has the winner for each class and has just two columns: Class Name and Car Number. The report I want to generate will list the winner for each class and also provide the owner and car information. Something like this:

Best Engine - John Doe, 1969 Boss 429, Blue with white interior

But, I have no idea how to do this. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Harry Z

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Why is Excel even involved?

How are you accessing the Excel data? Are you setting links to worksheets?

Linked sheets can be used like tables. Build a query with JOIN on Car Number.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

HarryZ is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    Aloha June7. Thanx for the quick reply.

There are a couple of reasons why Excel is involved:
    1) I'm pretty proficient with Excel and know almost nothing about Access. I'm just using access to generate reports.
    2) The entrants register for the show using our website which has a database plugin to store all the data. The only option to export the data is as a .csv file and I can easily convert these to .xlsx files and work with them.
    3) The data needs to "scrubbed" - e.g.: some people enter their name in UPPER CASE, some only in lower case, some use Normal Capitalization. I edit the data to get them all to normal capitalization. I also add a column with the entry number as the database system does not offer this capability. No idea how to do any of this in Access.

As for the join you mentioned - if I knew how to do this, I would not be asking for assistance.

Mahalo,

Harry Z

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Suggest reviewing a tutorial on building queries. Access has built-in tools to aid with building queries. The one you want is very basic.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/quick-...t-access-2007/

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...7-d254561f8bce

First, have to get data into Access. So I presume you have links already set?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

HarryZ is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    I struggled with this for a while. Finally found this page

https://support.office.com/en-ie/art...6-09571c7064a9

Used the instructions in this section "Use the Query Wizard to build a query from a primary table and a related table" to define a relationship between the two tables. This was the piece I was missing.

I then used the Query Wizard to get the data I wanted from the two tables, and then created a report from this.

Mahalo for your assistance.

Harry Z

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    If you care,
    - Access can deal with csv data
    - Proper case is also possible to enforce in a report or form without needing to worry about how anyone enters their name
    - an entry number "column" (field) is also very doable in any database

Maybe something to check out during the "off" season, assuming there is one.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

HarryZ is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Micron View Post
    If you care,
    - Access can deal with csv data
    - Proper case is also possible to enforce in a report or form without needing to worry about how anyone enters their name
    - an entry number "column" (field) is also very doable in any database

Maybe something to check out during the "off" season, assuming there is one.
    Aloha Micron,

Yeah, I have a list of things to do during the "off season", but never seem to have time to do them. Not too surprised that Access can handle these things but really don't want to spend the time on it.

Mahalo for the response!

Harry Z

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.