dccjr3927 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016

SELECT DISTINCT with COUNT

I have a field that has 8 possible values (selected from a combo box). I am trying to create an SQL statement that returns a count of each of these items between 2 dates.

Code:
    "SELECT COUNT (DISTINCT Process) FROM WOTracking WHERE Date_Time >= #" & Format(dt1, "yyyy-mm-dd") & "# AND Date_Time < #" & Format(dt2, "yyyy-mm-dd") & "#;"
    I am getting a Missing Operator Error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Field name is Process?

"SELECT Process, Count("*") AS CountProc FROM WOTracking WHERE Date_Time BETWEEN #" & Format(dt1, "yyyy-mm-dd") & "# AND #" & Format(dt2, "yyyy-mm-dd") & "# GROUP BY Process;"

Use Access query designer to help get correct syntax then structure for VBA.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks!!!! As always.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    I am getting a Type Mismatch. Date_Time is Date/Time in table, dt1 and dt2 as Date, Process is Short Text in table. I don't understand what could be mismatched.

June7 is offline VIP
    Sorry, no quotes around the *: Count(*)
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Good Morning. I am sure that I am doing something wrong here, or I have not been clear about what I am trying to accomplish. I realize that I have omitted something that might be very important. I am trying to use this SQL statement as the filter on a report. The complete sub is:

Code:
    Private Sub cmdGo1_Click() ' Contract Report - Invoicing
    Dim CountProc As Integer
    Dim strRptSQL1 As String
    Dim strRptSQL2 As String
    dt1 = Me.tbxDate1
    dt2 = Me.tbxDate2

strRptSQL1 = "SELECT * FROM WOTracking WHERE ContractCo = '" & Me.cbxContractCo & "' AND  Date_Time >= #" & Format(dt1, "yyyy-mm-dd") & "# AND Date_Time < #" & Format(dt2, "yyyy-mm-dd") & "#;"
    DoCmd.OpenReport "ContInvoice", acViewPreview, strRptSQL1
    strRptSQL2 = "SELECT DISTINCT Process, Count(*) AS CountProc FROM WOTracking WHERE Date_Time BETWEEN #" & Format(dt1, "yyyy-mm-dd") & "# AND #" & Format(dt2, "yyyy-mm-dd") & "# GROUP BY Process;"
    DoCmd.OpenReport "ProcessInvoiceSub", acViewPreview, strRptSQL2

End Sub
    It is generating both reports. The second one with the Process counts just creating a list of all of the processes between the dates (no counts). So this leads me to 2 questions. How to get each process listed just once with the count next to it? And how to pass the CountProc for each Process to the report?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    This was a copy of the above post. Accidentally posted it twice.
    Last edited by dccjr3927; 04-19-2019 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Mistake

June7 is offline VIP
    Don't use DISTINCT with GROUP BY.

Code:
    strRptSQL2 = "SELECT Process, Count(Process) AS CountProc FROM WOTracking WHERE Date_Time BETWEEN #" & Format(dt1, "yyyy-mm-dd") & "# AND #" & Format(dt2, "yyyy-mm-dd") & "# GROUP BY Process;"

How to get each process listed just once with the count next to it? And how to pass the CountProc for each Process to the report?
    You base the report on query from strRptSQL1, and group report by Process. All process info and count of instances of process goes into group header/footer, all info about instance specific details are in group body. The query from strRptSQL2 is not needed.

June7 is offline VIP
    Agree with Arvil. Use report Sorting & Grouping features with a simple SELECT query. Do the aggregate calc in textbox in report header/footer. This allows display of detail data as well as summary calcs. If you don't want details to show, code can hide the Detail section. One report object can serve both output requirements.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks guys. I will give it a try.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Unfortunately, my directive from on high has changed for this report. I have begun a new thread, as it is much more...complicated now. We will call this one closed, but a great reference. Thanks for all the help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.