cczceo is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

First Post Alert: Is it possible...

I have slowly developed a database and I had a question that hopefully you all can assist me with. On the main form it has a drop down for the Type of Assessment that includes level 1, level 2, level 3. The database is to disburse ergo equipment and I would like to have it to where if they select level 1 the user would only have the option of selecting filtered level 1 only items in the subform. If they select level 2 the list would have more options that would include items that are approved for level 1 and level 2 and if it is a level 3, it would have the entire list. Is that possible?

Right now the entire list populates so the user can request any piece of equipment regardless of the type of assessment. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ergo database.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	38120

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    For this situation, you would use the AfterUpdate event of the combo and based on the value of its bound column, modify the recordsource of the subform. Your goal is a little bit different from what's usually asked for, which is to filter a subform based on a combo value. In your case, you want to "append" the choices so that it's A or A+B or A+B+C, so the solution is a bit more complicated than the other scenario. I'm assuming you never want A+C or B+C.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

hammerman is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013

Outside the box potential solution

Quote Originally Posted by cczceo View Post
    I have slowly developed a database and I had a question that hopefully you all can assist me with. On the main form it has a drop down for the Type of Assessment that includes level 1, level 2, level 3. The database is to disburse ergo equipment and I would like to have it to where if they select level 1 the user would only have the option of selecting filtered level 1 only items in the subform. If they select level 2 the list would have more options that would include items that are approved for level 1 and level 2 and if it is a level 3, it would have the entire list. Is that possible?

Right now the entire list populates so the user can request any piece of equipment regardless of the type of assessment. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ergo database.png 
Views:	18 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	38120
    Just thinking of how to circumvent the problem of A or A+B or A+B+C, but not A+C or B+C: would adding another field in each record, that holds a single number; for the A list items the number would be, say 1, for the B list items it may be 3 and for the C list items it could be a larger number, (=5?). Then your filter to show all items belonging to each level would be to list/filter all items with values less than 2|4|6, depending on which level the user entered.
    Hope this sparks your imagination, if it doesn't work.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Just thinking of how to circumvent the problem of A or A+B or A+B+C, but not A+C or B+C
    It hasn't been expressed as a problem. It's just a warning that I wanted to make and may not apply here, although I'm not seeing the advantage of picking < 2 when you can just pick 1 for A. Anyway I guess it doesn't matter at this point.

If it is an issue, then a full range of combinations may be needed, in which case for A, B, C that means 6. Possibly the posted explanation is incomplete as so often happens here, but what also should be considered is what happens if forms/reports/queries have to be redesigned if a 4th option is added in the future. If so, that suggests that there is an underlying design issue such as the lack of a lookup table in favour of value lists, or perhaps that the db has multi value fields (which I would not use).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.