Bcanfield83 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2016

Question Import + append value passed from form

Hi all,

I'm looking to setup a file import process which also appends a variable number to one of the fields. The import itself is already setup - it's a simple .csv file which is imported via DoCmd.TransferText.
    There's a button in a form labeled "Import" which calls the import process. Thus, upon clicking the "Import" button,a function is called which imports the specified file into tblApp_Import. The file only contains 2 columns: one called "USERNAME", another called "TICKET". This table contains 4 total fields.

-ID: AutoNumber (Primary Key)

-USERNAME: Text
    -TICKET: Text
    -APP_ID: Integer

So obviously the USERNAME and TICKET columns from the file are imported into the corresponding fields in this table. The APP_ID field is NOT on the file being imported.
    I need to populate that field with a numerical value corresponding with whichever Application is selected in the form (this is a basic List Box with a handful of choices - each of which has a specific numerical value).
    This number would need to be populated in the APP_ID field for every record that just imported. Thus if the table contains 30 records of USERNAME and TICKET, the APP_ID field would need to be populated with the number 12 for each of those 30 records.
    I'm thinking of just creating an APPEND query which passes that number from the form into the APP_ID field.. So this query would need to be executed separately, after the initial import
    Is there a more logical way to do this?

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I think you mean UPDATE rather than APPEND. It's quite common to have to do such operations in steps, so I don't see a problem. Probably is easier than trying to use subquery to get the value, but then there's domain lookup function as well. Many of these things introduce complication into your sql, and sometimes they're not possible or are just not worth the added effort and trial and error. For me, this one isn't a question of logical but of simplicity.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Bcanfield83 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2016
    Oops, my bad - it is indeed an "UPDATE" query, not "APPEND". Thank you!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.