Autopopulate a form based on previously entered data

Hi I am a complete newbie and need help!

I have created a database that tracks contact and genealogical information. I have one table (contacts) which has many fields. I have a form allowing me to enter contact information as well as another form that enters genealogical information into the table. I would like the genealogical form to autopopulate the date of birth, place of birth, date of death, and place of death for that ancestor, in the table if the information for that individual has already previously been entered. To make it more clear say I am entering the name, date of birth, place of birth, date of death, and place of death of Bob's Grandfather but this is also the Grandfather of Paul (Bob's Brother and someone I have already recorded the information for). I would like to enter the person's name and the date of birth, place of birth, date of death, and place of death of the individual is automatically populated based on entering the name. So my question is how can I do this?

Thanks!!!

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    Well by 'autopopulate' - I trust you don't mean making a second record of info that is already there...but bringing up the record that is already there...

Generically one way is by having a combobox or listbox in the header of the form. When you insert this control - the wizard will step you thru set up and you want to select that it selects a record.

You will want to add as many fields as needed so that the user clearly selects the right person.

The other way, generically, is with a subform - - but it is not clear to me what your layout and table structure is so am not sure if this is viable....

tarhim47 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi,

My questions is kinf of along the same lines. May be you could help me out.

I have a form which will be used to gather data from the users. One of the fields is "leads." This is supposed to be potential clients the partners/managers are trying to attract to our firm. So there is no way for me to create a table of leads. Aother field is "COI." These are people who introduced the partner/manager to the lead. Majority of the COIs are new and some will be old who constantly refer others to our practice. In either case, there are not enough old COIs for me to create a table of them.

What I want to be able to do is have the form remember COIs entered on past records. For example, if the COI on record 1 is Murphy then if the same COI referred us to lead 10 (recorded in record 10), I want the user to start typing in the COIs name and have access generate a list of COIs who have similar names and allow the user to select from that list.

I tried convetring my COI field to a combox and turned on Auto Expand but it still doesnt remembe past entries or shows a list of them.

I also tried SELECT DISTINCT COI FROM table ORDER BY COI but that doesn't seem to work either, probably b/c I'm somewhat new to Access.

Any ideas? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I assume you have table Managers and a form.

You do indeed need a table Leads.

This table should be a subform to the Manager form; in this way you can enter as many leads as needed per Manager; and it cross references to the manager.

In the table Leads, one of the fields is COI. Since you don't want to retype the same COI repeatedly - in its field property you want to set it as LookUp Field - - and it is going to look up the table COI - which you must make, a single column table - - and enter all the current COI names into it.

Hope this helps.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.