rcrobman is offline Not Expert Yet!
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Macro Errors generated on different machines in Windows 10 running Access 2016

I have been fighting this problem for some time so it's time to ask for help!

The problem I am having is inconsistency in how macros operate from one end user machine to another.
    For example on my development machine a particular macro runs fine no matter how many times I run it. On another user machine clicking the same button that runs the same macro generates an error code generated by running the macro that usually says the function is not supported or similar. In most every case the function is a relatively simple one that IS supported and should give no grief.

Things I have tried:
    1) Recompiling the code on the form that calls the macro
    2) Testing the functionality of the macro step by step to ensure correctness
    3) Decompiling the entire application using run msaccess.exe /decompile and then using Alt- F11 to recompile all of the code in the application and then compiling the application into a runtime.

No matter what I try these problems keep re-occuring - isn't always the same version of the application, isn't always the same macro - just whatever macro on whatever machine that Access decides to screw up.

The end users are using compiled (runtime) versions of the applications - when compiled and tested on my machine and some other machines the macros work fine - on other machines you will get an error.
    We have checked to make sure that the OS versions and updates are the same all to no avail. All machines working and otherwise are running Win 10 V1803 with the 2019-02 update.
    The Access version is 1902 Build 11328.20146 and is part of Office 365

So if anyone can suggest what is causing this situation I would be grateful!

Thanks in advance for any help

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    macros do not allow debugging,
    on the bad PC, convert the macro to code,
    run it and view the line it fails at, inspect the line and display for us.

some PCs have different drivers that will sometime conflict. You never know until it runs.

Rainlover is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    I agree with ranman256. However I would go further to say that the only Macro you should use is the Autoexec.

Only use code.

The problem could be very difficult to find. It could be your Properties or some set up of Access.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for the suggestion - I think I will divest the application macros since there is no way to debug them.
    Your suggestion is good - I have already created a query that is the same and it runs without error so I will do away with Macros.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks for the help - as painful as that will be I think it is a good suggestion since you can’t seem to properly troubleshoot macro problems!

Rainlover is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    Do you realise that those macros can be automatically converted into code.

You may have to tidy up the code but that should not be too difficult.

Also do one at a time and test before moving on to the next Macro

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Yes I am aware of that but fortunately the macro's are simple enough that I can write them as code within the forms that they act upon.
    Thanks for the suggestions - appreciate all the help I get here!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.