Perfac is offline Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2016

SQL Server

Questions in blue.

We have eventually learned to connect our front end using SQL server as back end. Questions. I assume from what people informed some time ago that there will be no limit on open connections?

MWeb hosts our website, and I accept that our Access database without SQL server can not be hosted for customers to be used for processing data. Can MWeb or any host, host our database for processing by customers through the internet, when the back end is SQL Server?

I assume that the well known international Accounting packages uses different strategies.
    a. Some of them may work like my bank where all data is stored on the hosts space and no front end on the users computer. The user logs in and process.
    b. I have experience where I downloaded the whole application to my Computer and store all my data on my computer. When there are upgrades it get emailed to me, we activate.
    c. Ruben spoke about the option of a front end on every users computer, with one back end stored by our host.

If I could choose I would want option A. Is that possible or what is needed to use that option.

More than 25 years ago, before Windows, I had some experience using Novelle networks with DBaseIV database. I might be wrong, remembering that our database was on the server only. On a local network on a client Computer we simply set up a manual menu software to connect to the main EXE file in the DBaseIV application, and then we can work on the database from the client computer, nothing like a front end being loaded on the client. Question.
    If the back end of our database on a local network of 20 Computers is on the server, is it compulsory that on every client the front end must be installed, or is there a way like we had as described above? The concern is here if an upgrade is needed on the front end, is the only way to upgrade one by one?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    for A you need to use terminal server or citrix. Each user will have their own workspace (desktop/documents/etc) and the front end needs to be installed in this space. You may choose that your app is automatically opened when they log in and you prevent users from seeing anything of their workspace, including the toolbar and automatically logout when the user closes your app. Each user will need their own licensed copy of Access (or use Access Runtime) - if you make use of other apps (excel/word/outlook or other apps such as acrobat) then they will need the appropriate licences. Clearly you need to be extremely careful that users cannot see other users data, make sure you are protected from hackers/sql injection and the like. It will be up to you how you manage user rights/login. It works pretty much the same way as a LAN once you are logged in. You can of course buy your own server which users can connect to across the web rather than renting one already web hosted - but you will then take on responsibility for uptime, redundancy, scaling and all the other maintenance tasks required - as well as having a bigger upfront cost.

Updates of user front ends can then be easily automated - plenty of threads on the subject on this and other forums.

for C, I suspect Ruben is talking about SQL Azure which is web based and the Access front end is located on the clients machine

If the back end of our database on a local network of 20 Computers is on the server, is it compulsory that on every client the front end must be installed, or is there a way like we had as described above?
    if by client you mean someone who uses your app, then yes, they each need their own copy of the front end.

Be very clear - whichever option you go for, each user must have their own copy of the front end. There is no getting away from that unless you are prepared for a lot of grief. You cannot share excel/word or any other app, each user has it installed and licensed. The same for Access. Your front end is an app in its own right.

Perfac is offline Expert
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    If our access front end is connected to SQL server as back end. Does it mean that there no limit on open connections?

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    No it doesn't...
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

moke123 is online now Me.Dirty=True
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    if an upgrade is needed on the front end, is the only way to upgrade one by one?
    You can use an auto updater.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    I would add it very much depends on how you have set it up for your clients to use. Using terminal server/citrix is pretty straight forward. If your clients have the backend stored on their local network and front ends on their local machines, you will need a mechanism to send them the updates for them to install themselves. Perhaps you email it to them, perhaps you provide a link to your website so they can download from there, perhaps you can access their systems using remote desktop and do it for them. Only issue with the first two is they may not bother.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.