Ruben is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Updating Front-End's on all computers

When we update our Front end's(consisting of forms, quarries, reports and macros/modules) we copy every file we have worked on and replace the non-updated items, is there a process where we do it in a more professional way, similar to how other applications just download the latest patch and just update itself? Also how would this be done for the back end with keeping the content, if this is possible?

if there is no automatic way to update this with access itself, is there some sort of personal updating module someone created?

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    I had every user in a list with their network folder path.
    i can click a button and it would copy the latest to each.
    users were always up to date and did nothing.

the backend needed no distribution,only a daily backup.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Have some code that compares the version number in a local table with one stored in the back end dB. If they are different then the code copies across the new version

Gicu is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Trying to update the existing front-ends with latest changes would be a lot more difficult than replacing them with an updated "master" version from the network. There are many ways to do that, a search in this Access forum (and the other main ones) will give you some options. Have a look at http://forestbyte.com/ms-access-util...a-db-launcher/ (currently for 32 bit Access, will update in the near future for both 32 and 64 bit).
    As for the second part have a look at my free utility (http://forestbyte.com/ms-access-util...be-table-push/) that I use to push an updated table (add/remove/rename fields) to the back-end and repopulate it with the existing data by creating a "script" of action queries to run when the front-end is opened.

Cheers,
    Vlad

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    What I usually do is put the latest copy of the front-end in a particular location on the network. Then, I create a batch file to distribute and put it on all users desktops. What the batch file does is download the latest copy of the front-end to their hard-drive, and open that. So if they used this batch file to rum the database, they are always assured of using the latest versions (as it copies down the latest version every time).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.