cowboy is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Shared database, how to save filters for each user

I have a shared database and there are a few people who use the database at the same time. Is there a way to make so it can save the filter settings for a split form after they navigate away from the form and come back to it? For Example

User1 on the Project_Form filters by city
    User2 also has the Project_Form open so User1 couldnt save any sorts or filters that I know of and User2 sorts by project name
    User1 navigates to details page, which closes the Project_Form
    User1 returns to Project_Form [can I have User1 keep the same filter they previously set? (in this example by city)]

Users do not login to this database, so I am not sure if there is a way to identify which user is which and then save the filter with that identifier to a table.

Any ideas are appreciated, thank you.

-Dan

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    The filters, and all other changes are saved in the Frontend.
    which is then delivered to all users.

tho, a single user could save an old copy of their FE, then export their personal items (filters) to it.
    this way, when a new FE is delivered,they could import it back.

There is only 1 database file, it is not a front end with linked tables to a back end database. That being said if they are opening one shared file are you saying they still have a front end type of situation where when they open the file it creates a front end? If so their filter would automatically be saved as they navigate around the forms?

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    There is only 1 database file, it is not a front end with linked tables to a back end database.
    you need to read up on how access should be setup. 1. Access should always be split into the database part (the back end) containing only tables and 2. each user should have their own copy of the front end (everything else - forms/reports/queries/modules). Failure to do so will result in corruption at some point. After 268 posts, I'm surprised you are not aware of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
    you need to read up on how access should be setup.
    This is the first time I have setup a database this way, but it is one of the methods shown by Microsoft itself:
    https://support.office.com/en-gb/art...__toc310279041

So I did read up on it a little, and we have been testing for about 2 months now with about 8-10 users probably only 3 or 4 at the same time with only a few crashes.

The main reasons I didnt split the database was because access said it was acceptable in the link above and with 10 users I would need to coordinate and make sure everyone was using the latest front end.

I will discuss with the higher ups about splitting the database.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Must admit I've not seen that advice before - but it has plenty of warnings around reliability, availability, performance and security.

Updating users with the latest copy of the front end is a regular topic, there are a number of ways this can be accomplished. Plenty of threads on this and other forums about how to do it

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    If you decide to risk not splitting, you need to get the Windows user login name and find that in a table of users. Research ms access Windows user login or something similar. There are several options, one is the built in Environ username property. Also need a table of forms vs users and the filters for that form/user combo. Recommend not using literal sql text as I've seen cases that suggest it can't be resolved in vba. You can concatenate the filter values from this table into a sql string in code and apply that on the necessary form event. AFAIK, each user is opening a copy of this form in such a shared environment and their application of a filter won't affect anyone else. However, whatever the form is bound to will be affected by concurrent users, which means that conflicts can occur in terms of record locking depending on that setting.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

theviking is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    As others said, there is really no good reason not to split the database. It's an hours worth of work and will eliminate a lot of potential issues.

Regarding the windows user name call, this is the function we use to retrieve the active login.

Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

Declare PtrSafe Function IGetUserName Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias "GetUserNameA" (ByVal sBuffer As String, lSize As Long) As Long

Function GetUserName() As String

On Error Resume Next

Dim sBuffer As String
    Dim lSize As Long
    Dim x As Long

sBuffer = Space$(32)
    lSize = Len(sBuffer)
    x = IGetUserName(sBuffer, lSize)
    GetUserName = Left$(sBuffer, lSize - 1)

End Function

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Just for completeness, there are 3 methods of getting user name
    I prefer: CreateObject("WScript.Network").UserName - its more reliable than Environ and needs no API declarations

This article compares all methods: http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/g...ame/4594424315
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.