eww is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007

Trouble with updating/populating

This is an interesting one. I've got a timesheet form where employees log their hours to a job number (which is populated from the original form/table where it is entered called ProjectInfo). Then back on the Project Info Form I have a box that I want to populated with the totaled hours that either one employee or various employees have logged to that job number.

The way I've been going about it so far is I made a query totaling the number of hours, but then I'm not sure how to get that back into the project for to the specific job number that they are related to (without the user having to choose the job number again from a combo box).

I tried to use an update query to update the field in the Project Info table but that doesn't work for some reason (I think it has something to do with the query I used having sums instead of just a lookup query)

I'm not really sure what the right way is to go about doing this.

dynamictiger is offline Novice
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    One way to do this is to add a field to the job forms footer. This contains the =sum(time) as the control where time is the name of the text box containing the time durations.

Once you have this information you can then link to it from the project form however you want.

Interesting I am working on the same sort of application. How far along are you?

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2007
    What occurs to me is that the Project Info Form would typically have a subform listing the details of all the hours spent who, why, when, what, etc......and also providing a total of the hours.

eww is offline Competent Performer
    Windows XP Access 2007
    NTC you hit the nail on the head with the subform suggestion. I have to admit at first I was a little confused why/how that would work (especially since I only need 2 controls, I didn't want to create a whole subform for them) but I tried it and it works. So be it!

thanks a lot.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.