chicks123 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Trouble saving Database

Hi, just joined in the hope somebody might be able to advise me. Have a database on Access (using Office 365) and once a week I like to do a "save as" as a backup copy just incase the "master" database becomes corrupted. I am wondering if it has become corrupted as for some reason it is no longer letting me do a "save as". Been find up to now. It is encrypted with a password and when I do a "save as" it asks for the password 3 times and then says invalid password even though the password is o.k. when accessing the "master" database. I have tried to open as exclusive and decrypt the password, however, the decrypt button is not there just the encrypt. Has anybody come across this before and found a solution. Would be most grateful if anybody can advise. I have been all round the houses with Microsoft and can't to find an answer. Many thanks.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    you say a database - so only tables, i.e. your backend? Or do you mean your front end which contains forms/reports/queries/code? Or, particularly if you are concerned about corruption, everything is in the same file? or you have multiple users using the front end? which are the usual reasons for corruption.

have you tried compact/repair? Have you tried reverting to a backup and 'saving as' that?

The first thing to do is stop and make a copy (not save as) then work on the copy file. Be aware there is no 100% solution to corruption, you may lose some or all your data and/or some or all your forms/reports etc

If you have got corruption, it can be creep up on you so it is quite possible your backups are corrupted as well. Check the backup - if that shows the same symptoms, you have a problem, perhaps go back 2 or 3 backups and see if this persists.

Things to try:
    1. latest windows updates - make sure they are bang up to date. Sometime an update is incomplete or can cause problems which are resolved in the next update. As a general observation 365 seems to have more issues with windows updates than earlier versions.
    2. compact/repair
    3. create a new blank db and copy tables across
    4. create another new blank db and copy everything else across.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hi Ajax - many thanks for replying to my post - it is much appreciated. The database is for client records and contains forms, reports etc. Everything is all in one file and only used by me - nobody else has access to it.

I have tried compact/repair and this does not work. When I request compact/repair it asks for the password about 3 times and then says password invalid. As I said before there is nothing wrong with the password as it is all o.k. when signing in to the database.

I do have a couple of backs up which I can access fine and save and compact/repair, however, unfortunately these are not up to date as the "master" database is updated weekly and therefore previous backups from a couple of months ago are not going to have all the latest records etc. Something must have happened recently to the "master" database. Perhaps I have accidentally knocked something out of sync.

All windows is up to date. I have even uninstalled and re-installed Office 365 and checked for updates in the hope that this might help the problem but it doesn't. Have done compact/repair and like I said hasn't worked.

The "master" database is still working fine it is just not being able to save a copy which is the problem. And also not being able to compact/repair will cause future problems I am sure.

Do you have any other ideas or would you recommend creating new database and copy everything across. Is this difficult to do or are there any instructions I could have a look at telling me how to do this.

Again, many thanks for your reply and advice.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    The "master" database is still working fine it is just not being able to save a copy which is the problem. And also not being able to compact/repair will cause future problems I am sure.
    you have problems now so don't be complacent. The longer you leave it the less likely you will be able to recover the situation.

If the forms/reports/code has not been changed since your last reliable backup, you will be able to recover these. The question is whether your data is recoverable - i.e. can be copied to another db. Can you do number 3 from the things to try in my first response? Let me know how you get on.

It is easy enough to do.

1. create a new, blank database
    2. under the 'external data tab, select access then navigate to your 'master' file, select all tables (not msys ones if you are showing system objects) and import

If you get a failure, then there is a couple of other things to try before having to revert to a backup.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    You could also try decompiling which will remove all compiled code including any that has become corrupted.
    Normally you would backup first but not possible for you...so decompile then recompile then compact and all being well, backup.
    For more info, see http://www.fmsinc.com/microsoftacces.../Decompile.asp
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Many thanks for replies - much appreciated. Will look into all suggestions. I will keep you posted as to how it goes. Many thanks again.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    one other thought - has your db reached 2Gb in size?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    If I am looking correctly it is 4.62mb

CJ_London is offline VIP
    OK - well that rules out one option - db's that reach 2gb will present similar symptoms to a corrupted database

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Unfortunately I have not been very successful. Isladogs - thought I was getting somewhere with your suggestion until I had to debug and compile. In my version of Access I cannot find a debug button anywhere.

Ajax - I have tried creating a blank database and copying everything over. Must be doing something wrong as only getting export and not import so not sure.

Thank you for your help and suggestions - it really is appreciated. You have offered a lot more than what I managed to get out of Microsoft.

I shall keep persevering. Might have to go through each record and see what has been changed on the "master" database and check it against an older back up file that works and saves o.k. and update it that way.

OK so you decompiled successfully?
    To compile open the visual basic editor from the database tools menu.
    Then click compile on the debug menu. If any errors occur you will need to fix each in turn until it is fully compiled.
    Then compact and repair
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Isladogs I have now managed to get to the database tools menu and have found "debug" but when I click on it "compile" is there but faded and cannot click on it. Any ideas?

If the menu item is disabled it means it is currently fully compiled - but that means you didn't decompile it previously.
    So decompile as instructed in the FMS article THEN run Debug...Compile
    If that still doesn't help, are you able to upload your database for someone to look at?

BTW making any change in the VBE will mean your project is no longer fully compiled
    Even adding a space or a blank line is enough ....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.