rcrobman is offline Not Expert Yet!
    Windows 10 Access 2016

"Must contain updatable query" HEADS UP - Error appeared after Windows 10 update

Wanted to give everyone a heads up on an error I received today in Access 2016. I have a form that calls an Update query that was designed years and years and many versions ago.
    This update query has always worked perfectly as does its sister query - one query increments a field in a linked table the other decrements a field in a linked table.
    The other day all of a sudden neither query would work - and Access returned the error "....must contain an updatable query"
    After searching and searching for the problem and tearing my hair out - I went into the back end (SQLServer) and tried to update the field manually - no problem.
    I then went to the Linked Table in the Access application and tried to update the field manually and received the error "This recordset is not updatable" - funny it had always been updatable!
    So I relinked the SQLServer table to the front end application and SURPRISE both queries worked perfectly well again.

So I really cannot tell you why doing a Windows 10 update would mess up the link to the table in question but mess it up it did.
    Just thought I would post this in case anyone else runs across this problem!

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Could be that it's the first sign of corruption. Just sayin...
    No doubt you have backups...
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    perhaps there was an update to sql server?

Windows 10 Access 2016
    No I tested the db after relinking and did a compile on it - there were no errors given and the compiled version worked just fine.
    Can't explain it - hadn't done any work on the front end for a couple of weeks and the queries in question were working fine throughout that time.
    Only thing that changed was that Windows 10 insisted on doing an upgrade.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    No I control the Server - it is running on Win2K8 Server and there have been no updates to it.
    Only update was to Windows 10 which is where the front end application runs.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.