ismailsh is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013 64bit

display data question

Hi,

I am new to MS access and so need a little help. I have a table "deferredcode" which has 2 fields - productid and deferredcode. In the productid field I have data like cisco2821 (router models) and in the deferred code i have data like 12.1 etc. so my table data would looks something like below :-

Product ID Deferred Code
    CISCO2821 12.3.11T10
    CISCO2821 12.3.11T11
    CISCO2821 12.3.11T3
    AIR-CT2504-K9 8.5.120.0
    AIR-CT2504-K9 8.5.110.0
    AIR-CT2504-K9 8.5.105.0
    AIR-CT2504-K9 8.5.103.0
    AIR-CT2504-K9 8.4.100.0

My question is how can i have a form or query where i can display the productID just one time and then all the deferred code for that product id on one page, then move to the next page to display the next productid etc.

Thanks again

davegri is offline Excess Access
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Look into Access reports. Reports are perfect for that sort of display.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    You are admittedly new to Access (and database I will assume). You should not have 2 things with the same name.
    Table named deferredcode and Field named deferredcode is not a good practice. It is helpful to readers and you if you could tell us a little about what you are trying to do in plain English ---no database jargon. I am not familiar with the term Deferredcode, but I'm sure there are others here who are.
    As davegri says --reports can do that. But I have a hunch that that is not the total of your concern(s) at the moment.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your project.

Dave14867 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    As davegri said, Access Reports handles this perfectly.

And as orange said, you should not have 2 things with the same name, take it from another newbie who has run into this and learned the pitfalls.

People on this forum are always ready to help out and give very sound advice, they are pros and you can learn much from them.

As a newbie you have (and don't realize it yet) preconceived ideas of how the tables should be set up (maybe your used to using Excel for Example) but in most cases those ideas may not work well in Access. There are certain naming conventions that should be adhered to (for good reason as you'll learn as you progress) for example.

Take a few minutes, zip the file and post it so we can assist you better and quicker, strip out any confidential info.

Thanks
    Dave

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Depends on why you want to see the data. Only read it, or edit it? You asked about a form, so I'll say research form/subform relationship if you need to edit or append. They can be a bit problematic for beginners, but the premise is that the main form holds the "one" records and the subform displays the "many" which is the situation you have. A report would be easier/better if all you want to do is look at it. Alternatively, there is the split form, which is a built in form style in Access. I have only experimented with them, so I can't comment too much on their strengths or weaknesses.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

ismailsh is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013 64bit
    Thank you all for your replies. Really appreciate you all taking the time. I resolved the issue. I created a new table where i have the productid as the primary key. I created a relationship with my table deferredcodemaster which has multiple productid and deferedcode in it. I created a query and form based on the query. Main form is based on producid table while subform is based on deferedcode data. Thank you all.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.