ArthurHarveyJr is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit

NZ Function no longer working.

I have an Access application that I've been using for years. Now all of a sudden here recently, with new Windows 10 PCs..., the NZ function is no longer working. It is absolutely driving me bonkers as I use this function all throughout my program.... Works in the ACCDB...., but not in the ACCDE compiled version. Has ANYONE else encountered this and figured out a resolution?! Microsoft just keeps on killing me with their updates, etc!!!

CJ_London is online now VIP
    in what context does it not work? in a query? vba? somewhere else? And what does 'no longer working' mean? you get an error, wrong result? something else?

I found that I can open the module that uses the Nz function if I open the module directly running the code using an AutoExec macro. When I call it from another module (the front end is an ACCDB file), then it doesn't want to work?! It has worked perfectly for years...., now all of a sudden it doesn't want to work?! Microsoft is killing me!!

And to answer your question directly, it is within a query.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    And once again, what does 'it doesn't work' mean? What does happen? Error? Wrong data? Crashes? Freezes? Sings a song?
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Hi, you could check in the VBA environment of the module where it doesn't work: Tools -> Reference. Maybe you have a broken reference.

I apologize if I've been cryptic in my reply. When I log into the program, I get an error that reads "undefined NZ function"..., and so the query doesn't work, and the program errors out. And the problem is PC specific. I have installed my program on other PCs in the same building/environment, and I've run into only one PC that gives me this error every time! I have checked my references, and as I mentioned above, I can run this particular module with no problems (I installed Access 2007 full version, to test) if I run the ACCDB. I also created an AutoExec macro to automatically run the code to see if the ACCDE would give me a problem with the NZ function. It ran perfectly!!! It is when I set a reference in my front end module, the ACCDB, to call the ACCDE executing code to prep the form I want by running certain queries, that I get this error?! Again, don't get the error on all of the other PCs in the office, but I do with this one PC. And I have another client where they have a brand new PC and I get the same error?! It is baffling and puzzling...., and I spend more time trying to resolve Microsoft issues than I do programming. I was just wondering if anyone in the forum ran across the same issue, and found the resolution. Of course, I could remove the NZ function entirely from the program, but that would take a month to do! I use it in queries, and I use it in VBA code. And all told, I have over 120 separate databases/modules that I would have to go through. If anyone out there has encountered...., please help. I DO NOT want to pay Microsoft $500.00 for them to tell me that they can't really help me...., especially when it is something that they've done!!!!

Could it be the installation of that one PC is different of the rest, another Windows version/Office version, other addons,...? "undefined NZ function..." really sounds as a missing reference. So I think you will have to check this on this one specific PC.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Also try an Office repair.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    You may have some corruption. See the post by AussieMick in the Similar Threads at the bottom of the page.
    He had problem with a different function and resolved it in the thread.
    Good luck.

It is when I set a reference in my front end module, the ACCDB, to call the ACCDE executing code
    so you are using the accde as a library? i.e. included in references?
    I installed Access 2007 full version
    and your tag says you are using 2010.

suggests to me it may be a versioning issue. The accde is compiled as 2007?

I ONLY installed 2007 because I have a "school" version of Office 2007 which doesn't have any limitations (unlimited installs), to test the program. (The program is actually written in 2007, but I use the runtime version of 2010 for client use.) I agree that it is PC specific.... But I can't figure out what the deal is with this one PC. Is there a patch/a fix for this?

You didn't answer my first question. I don't think it requires a patch (I'm not aware of it being an issue) - it is a versioning issue. accde's have to be run in the version they were created in and if you are trying to use a 2007 .accde library in a 2010 app you will get problems.

Only other thought - how are you opening/running your query? manually? in code using .runsql, in code using .execute?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.