Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sf1802 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Orange,
    Yes, I have looked at Steve bishop’s video, it seems quite like what I need to do. But maybe I will try and see if i can run the macros first. Then like what you have suggested, I will plan out the things that I need to do first. Thank you!
    Thank you all for your advices too!

Quote Originally Posted by Sf1802 View Post
    ...I have 40 officers in the company, each officer will see their own report when they key in their name and password.
    You want to restrict access to reports only? For entering data and viewing them there are no restrictions?

Design for every officer his/her own front-end, and keep reports designed for specific user in user's front-ends. And hide tables, forms, reports, etc. from users. Unless your officers are familiar with Access database design, this will be enough!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Maintaining multiple versions of frontend would be a headache. What do you mean by 'their own report'? Surely report design doesn't change just because of different user? Do you just want to filter report to relevant records?

Use code to filter report for records relevant to user. This does require that records have some value that can associate to user, such as username, department, employeeID, etc.

And possibly need a users table that holds user details such as username, employeeID, permission level.

User permissions is a fairly common topic.
    Last edited by June7; 02-09-2019 at 09:49 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Good points June, I agree totally. A "custom front end" per user is a non-starter in my view. I do realize that different people will opt for different solutions.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    I also wouldn't dream of creating multiple front ends and I very much doubt that's what arvil meant.
    However the same front end can easily be customised so it appears/behaves differently depending on user permission levels.
    For example certain buttons can be hidden from standard users.
    Similarly some forms could be read only to standard users but editable to those with editor permissions etc etc…

All very easy to do. One front end but with differences in appearance and functionality.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

There was a reason I asked is the limited access to reports the only limitation.

You create a report in front-end. Then you save a separate front-end for specific user, and edit the report (e.g. you set a user-specific WHERE clause for reports datasource), and distribute the front-end to user.

You can use a similar approach, when you have a database, where are several users or user groups with have to work with very different allowances and very different parts of database (like the database has bookkeeping module, and only users from financial department and management are allowed to access this data, and at same time there is storage module, or production module, and bookkeepers have nothing to do there). Of-course with completly different front-ends, you have to keep the number of different designs reasonable.

With only couple of reports different, keeping track of different front-ends is not very difficult.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    @Arvi
    OK I was wrong. You did mean several different versions of the FE
    For me, that approach would be a total nightmare. I have multiple user permission groups with users belonging to one or several groups
    I would estimate at least 100 different combinations would be necessary for 200 or so staff if I used that method with my main apps for schools.

Sorry but I can't see any advantages to that approach even where the setup is considerably simpler.
    Even just having 2 different versions would be one more than necessary
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

beilstwh is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003
    Personally I use the on open trigger on the form, find out from windows what the network login is and filter on the login name.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.