ssissons is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Assigning a different user to be DB admin on Access DB

I created a simple database using Access 2007, a couple of years ago. It is located on a network drive and used by multiple users. When it was first installed for use, I had to open it, in the network location and answer the question about whether it was a trusted document. Since then, I have had to do it two more times, and I think I finally figured out why - network admins upgraded MS Office to a new version, most recently to version 2016.

Now, my question is - is there a way to allow another username the ability to answer the "trusted document" question, so that I, specifically, don't have to do it. Nothing lasts forever, and if, for some reason, I change jobs (or retire), someone else would have to take charge of this DB and be able to make changes.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Trusted documents and locations work by adding entries to the registry.
    When I distribute software via my website, the installation file includes a registry script that ensures the install folder is trusted in all versions of Access the app is designed to work in (2007/2010/2013/2016/2019).
    So even if Office is updated the location and therefore the database remains trusted
    If you think that is helpful, let me know and I'll upload a simple registry file for you to adapt
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Trusted location prompt and db admin are not related. As long as the db location (either front or back end) isn't a trusted location, anyone should get the prompt, for which there is no password AFAIK. The likelihood is that the db was moved to a network folder for which isn't recognized as trusted, or someone removed the setting from that folder or one further up the tree. If you do have some sort of admin level protection involved, you could post about it if you want feedback on it.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Good point. I assumed that either nobody else knew how to do it or nobody else was allowed to view the Trust Center in Access options
    Whether I was correct or not, using a registry script solves the issue very easily.
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!

ssissons is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    Yes, thank you for your answer. I think that would help, and I will have to forward on your suggestion to our network admin. Hopefully(!), they will adapt it. Thank you again!

AdrianG001 is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2007
    The User and Group Accounts dialog box is open, and the Order Entry and Sales Managers group accounts are created - please complete the previous tutorial Setting up Microsoft Access Group Accounts before starting.

1. Select the Users tab.
    2. Display the Name drop-down list. There's only one user listed, Admin. You're going to create five more users to add to this list.
    3. In the Groups section, look at the Available Groups list. Four groups are listed, including the two that you created. You can assign users to these groups.

4. In the User section, click New to open the New User/Group dialog box.
    5. Create a user account for yourself, as follows:

Name: (Your Name)
      Personal ID: mypid

Click OK.

6. From the User Name drop-down list, select your name.
    7. From the Available Group list, verify that Admins is selected. Click Add to create a security administrator account with you as administrator. You are a member of the Admins group. As such you inherit Administer rights to import files, create new users, and assign permissions.

8. Create the following new user accounts and assign each user to the indicated group accounts:

User Name Personal ID Group Membership
      Olivia E oliviapid Order Entry; Users
      Oscar D oscarpid Order Entry; Users
      Scott S scottpid Sales Managers; Users
      Susan M susanpid Sales Managers; Users
    9. Display and scroll through the Name drop-down list. Now there are six user accounts, including Admin, yourself, and the additional four that you have created.
    10. In the User And Group Accounts dialog box, click OK to accept your account additions.

Regards,
    Adrian Gates
    Database admin | Apps4Rent

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    if you have this already set up, I believe it's still supported - for now. Pretty sure this went by the wayside for any .accdb, .accde, .accdc, .accdr type db.
    Might not want to start delving into user level security at this point.

agree with Mcron
    User level security AKA workgroup security is still supported but ONLY if you are using MDB file format.
    Converting MDB to ACCDB or creating new ACCDB renders the feature unuseable

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.