k11ngy is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Tables and relationships

I am new to access and I have a word document attached which I need to know how to make up and relate the tables. Can anyone help
    Attached Files Attached Files

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    This is a homework assignment, right?
    Go to this link, and follow/work through the steps in the process to design the sample ZYX Laboratories. Then
    do the same with your assignment.
    Good luck with your project.

June7 is offline VIP
    You can also look at the MS Lending Library database template.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

k11ngy is offline Novice

Link

Hi, I am clicking on Link but doesnt seem to take me anywhere unless I am being stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    This is a homework assignment, right?
    Go to this link, and follow/work through the steps in the process to design the sample ZYX Laboratories. Then
    do the same with your assignment.
    Good luck with your project.

k11ngy is offline Novice
    Hi, thank you and it is homework and struggling a bit. It seems I cant attach the word document and had to ZIP. I could email it to you? The link doesnt seem to take me anywhere? Appreciate help

Thanks

[IMG]file:///C:/Users/steve/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image006.png[/IMG]

June7 is offline VIP
    Orange's link should open a zip file that has a Word document. Works for me.

No problem opening your document which I did look at. If you have absolutely no idea how to even start a db that you could provide us to analyze, you might ask for money back from the instructor. If you can't depend on the instructor then surely you have a textbook that will guide you. Any introductory tutorial book should be good to self-learn basic database principles and Access functionality. A forum is not the proper venue for that.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

k11ngy is offline Novice

Tables and forms

Thanks again

I did create a database and related tables. I think I may have kind of done it but then I tried to create a form to record transactions etc. is it expensive for you to analyse and check and perhaps create a transaction form for me?

Appreciate help

1 ZIp file has doc and database in
    Attached Files Attached Files

orange is offline Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    The link I provided in post #2 opens a zip file containing a Word document.
    That multi-page document has a description of a business that, like you, wants to build a database for support.
    It then goes through several detailed steps to identify potential tables, attributes and relationships and build an
    "attribute grid". It then explains relationship types with examples and develops entities and relationships representing
    the business facts. It even shows the MS Access implementation of the design.

I think you should try the link again and spend some time working through the example provided. Once you are comfortable
    with the process, do the same thing with your specific assignment.
    The secret to such assignments, or any database design, is Do not jump too quickly into physical database.

Just as you wouldn't build a house without a plan/blueprint- same thing with a database, make a blueprint/model.

As June said, if you're not getting info/guidance from your instructor or textbook, then its time to reconsider what you are doing.
    There are plenty of tutorials and forums to be found via google or bing to get you to an initial database design.

I often suggest this link that consolidates many articles and tutorials on database planning and design.
    You will find a stump the model link within these articles that overviews how to test your model --before building a physical database.

Good luck with your assignment and learning.

k11ngy is offline Novice
    Thank you

Got it now

Appreciate help

Steve

June7 is offline VIP
    Suggest field names Address, City, State (or whatever you have in your part of world) instead of Address1, Address2, Address3.

Recommend no spaces in naming convention.

Many would advise not to use text field as primary/foreign key because text fields index slower, however, I have done that without apparent detriment to performance.

The 3 tables you have is appropriate start. This is a many-to-many relationship. Generally, one form for data entry/edit to one table. Conventional options for many-to-many:

1. single form bound to Transactions with comboboxes to select customer and DVD (adding new DVD or new customer 'on-the-fly' will involve code in each combobox NotInList event and 2 other forms)

2. main form bound to Customers with subform bound to Transactions with a combobox on subform to select DVD (adding new DVD 'on-the-fly' will involve code in combobox NotInList event and another form)

3. main form bound to DVDs with subform bound to Transactions with a combobox on subform to select customer (adding new customer 'on-the-fly' will involve code in combobox NotInList event and another form)

Set form to open by default when database opens - this is a database Options setting.

Have you downloaded and looked at the MS Lending Library database template?
    Last edited by June7; 01-13-2019 at 04:59 PM.

k11ngy is offline Novice
    Thank you so much, this really helps and appreciate your time on this. Time to start building.

lending Library, yes that did help a lot

Thank you

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.