jeff@bennet-Tec.com is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2002

Moving Access to the Cloud

I'm interested in moving my local MS Access database to the cloud

I would like to
    a) be able to use a local Access front end to view
    to see and manage the data
    b) be also able to interact with the DB via a web script.

Is this possible ?

I currently use Access 2000 ( I'm not a fan of more recent Office editions - hate the ribbon )
    but will reluctantly use more recent update as needed.

Can anyone suggest a hosting company that will start me off with Access installed?

Jeff

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Sorry, I know nothing about cloud database. Presume you have searched web for info. What did you find out?

Yes, the ribbon will take some getting used to, but there are good reasons for upgrading, at least to version 2010 which is where I have stopped. I never used the ADP or security features of mdb so moving up was not so traumatic.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Methinks you will find that a TS (terminal services) approach will be the way to go. That means your db and either a runtime or full Access version would be both hosted remotely. Your terminal simply transmits user input to the remote host. The downside is that there's no way you'd get to keep using the old version. The upsides would be that you don't continue to expose yourself to the vulnerabilities of outdated software, plus you would not be trying to transmit data over the internet. There's no way I would attempt to use an Access db over a WAN, which is what you'd be doing over host suppliers such as OneDrive, Google drive, etc.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    other benefit of using terminal service/remote desktop is it can be accessed from other os devices such as apple and even your smart phone.

However don't believe you would be able to interact via a web script.

Re hosting companies, plenty out there - make sure you choose one with servers in the right location (i.e. your country)

Alternative would be to move your backend to something like SQL Azure which a local front end can access (but will need later version)

If you are concerned about the ribbon, sounds like you need a development environment. Easy to hide it for a production environment

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.