School Boy Error is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 64bit

Password protect back end

Morning,

Is it possible to password protect my back end table but put that password in the front end? At the moment my users access the front end and have to enter a password to access and this is great. However, someone could stumble on the back end and open this without a problem...

As you can imagine this isn’t ideal! Can you point me in the right direction please?

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    The BE password is always in the FE as part of the connection strings used to link the tables.
    If you don't want users to know the password, hide the navigation pane and disable Access options so it can't be restored.
    Knowledgeable Access users can still find out the BE password but if you make the FE an ACCDE file you will make it harder.
    However no Access file can be made 100% secure.
    Using SQL Server for you BE file will be far more secure

For more info in Access security, see http://www.mendipdatasystems.co.uk/c...ity/4594444323
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    To elaborate, split db's involve linking to a back end file. When you create the links, you check the password option which doesn't "store" it in the fe in the sense of putting it in some table if that's what you meant. However, it's only invisible to the less knowledgeable, which might be good enough for your intention if that's to prevent casual snooping. If you need to take it up a step, then there's much more you'd need to do in which case you do want to follow the link and/or research it more. If you forget or lose this password you should consider yourself basically screwed unless you have a means of undoing the security barriers you've implemented. A backup of the fe that is not compiled (not an mde or accde file) and allows you to get at the nav pane might be enough.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

School Boy Error is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013 64bit
    Thank you both. It is really a deterrant more than a hard security measure so I will look into putting it into the connection if I have the terminology correct! Thank you.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    That will happen automatically
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

CJ_London is online now VIP
    to expand on Ridders comment.

Once you have added a password to the backend, it is not sufficient to just relink. You need to delete your linked tables in the front end first and then relink - at that point you will be prompted to provide the backend password.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.