ozgecho is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Displaying units after an input box

Probably a simple one and I have looked but wasn't sure what to search for as I got nothing that would answer my question, but how do I put in a label that is part of the form template. ie input box = 500 followed by a static unit kPa. 500 kPa

pbaldy is online now Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    In general you concatenate:

[FieldName] & " kPa"

The specifics would depend on where you're doing it.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Probably didn't explain myself properly, so what I have done is created a table with the first item being Argon Bottle LP system. The way I want it to display on the form is

Argon Bottle LP system I 500 I kPa

​How do I put a bit of text after the input box.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Just use an unattached label control. Select this control from the ribbon design tab. Set its Caption property to whatever you want to display.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Ok, so I'm not a total idiot but I am just starting to use Access 365. I looked up unattached label control but I am no closer to being able to do what I want to. If you don't want to spell out what I want I am more than happy to go and read what I need to. Its just I don't know what it would be called what I want to do. I would think that it would be very simple but I am surprised that it doesn't appear to be that common. I want to be able to put say mm, kPa, C, Nm or whatever other unit after the input box of a field so that it is very clear to the end user what data is required to be put in the box. I don't know any other way to explain it.Is there an area here where I can see how to do what I want or can someone just please treat me like I have no idea and tell me exactly what I need to do in 365. Thanks in advance.

June7 is offline VIP
    If the field input is kPa then can have a label control with a caption that says "kPA". That label can be positioned next to the right of input textbox on form.

I really don't know how can be any clearer.

I don't use 365 so don't know why this would be more difficult. Not aware of any 'how-to' on forum that would describe how to install a label control on a form.
    Last edited by June7; 11-21-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thankyou June7 for your input. Was just getting a bit frustrated as I am just starting to get into developing a database. I will look further into what you have suggested and let you know how I go.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Are you really using an input box, or is it a form of your own design? I ask because input boxes don't allow labels, so I'd say the current advice won't apply to that. Yet you mention form template as well. AFAIK, 365 is just anything you subscribe to on an annual basis. I'm using 365, which is Access 2016 at the moment. The downside might be that as soon as there's an update, I'll probably be forced to "upgrade". We'll see.

For an input box, you'd have to concatenate the title:
    https://support.office.com/en-us/art...1-4786575314d9

If this is about a form, using correct terminology will help reduce confusion, in which case you might want to read up on control types for Access. You might be referring to a textbox control. Plus, where are you getting the units from? If from a table, you'll have to retrieve (DLookup?) the units based on some governing factor such as which form you opened, or what selection someone made from a form combo (kPA, BTU, etc). I don't know because you've said almost nothing about the form or where the units come from. You should explain how user gets to the point that you know what unit of measure you want to prompt about.

As for a label, it often presents issues around alignment and spacing when trying to mesh its contents (caption) with other controls, plus you cannot assign a caption to it based on some expression (what you might refer to as a formula). Sometimes I prefer to use an unbound textbox because it will accept an expression that concatenates pieces of info together.

Seems to me that you will also have to grab data from 2 fields - whatever contains Argon Bottle LP System & [the input value] and Unit of Measure. Might turn out to be that your best approach is code. If you remain stuck, post a zipped copy of your db.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

June7 is offline VIP
    Ah, Micron makes a good point. I caught the reference to 'form' in original question and presumed 'input box' meant a textbox control. If this is actually an InputBox then the units could be in the InputBox prompt argument. There is no way to place any text to the right of the input box.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Thanks. Ok so finally got it. What I was doing wrong is I wasn't in the design view(bottom right hand corner selection) so the design ribbon option wasn't coming up the top. Once that came up I found the label option.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Hey guys first up thanks for all the input. Probably due to my lack of understanding of Access at this point hasn't helped in trying to get help but persisting through what I had been told helped out heaps. This is certainly not anything high tech. The idea behind this database is to create an electronic log that can be taken out on to operational plant on a tablet to take routine readings and to have that data transferred through and stored on our network. Potentially I want to be able to take the data and be able to do trends that quickly show me for example a gas usage over a week or a day or whatever period I want. Another thought is to be able to have plant information that I can put some criteria in that shows me plant failure codes so that I can start to see what items of plant are failing and how often to highlight the less reliable items of plant and create routines for the plant to be checked. I haven't got down to the real specifics yet as I don't know what I really want to capture here but to start out with it is just an input sheet to store plant log information over a 12 hour period.
    Also just in case I wasn't clear, I was building a form and the kPa was just a label that gave the numbers I was inputting a unit. I wanted this on the form as it was as a bit of a prompter for a new operator so that they knew the readings they were taking were the correct ones.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.