mcucino is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2016

Line item dependencies

Hello all,

I have a table LineItemsT which essentially looks like a standard Profit & Loss statement. Each line item may or may not depend on another line item. For example, the "Gross Margin" row depends on the "Cost of Goods Sold" and the "Gross Revenue" rows. That's easy to track using a junction table. Here's the issue: I need to be able to display all of the items that depend on the current item, which means that I need to go a level deeper to see what depends on those items, and so on. Right now it's just a mock up so I don't have code to share, but I am hoping the following picture explains what I'm trying to do. Basically, the idea is that when you double click on something from the Line Items listbox, it's going to record that item in the junction table. I either need to record all levels of dependents, or I need to be able to pull a query that shows all levels of dependents. Alternatively, I could populate a listbox by adding each item using loops in VBA. All that matters is that I ultimately need to be able to see the results highlighted in orange below, one way or another.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tracing Dependencies.JPG 
Views:	6 
Size:	131.0 KB 
ID:	35876

mcucino is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2016
    Well, as usual, describing the problem in depth helped me solve it! I got this in about thirty seconds as soon as I clicked post. I'll leave it up and if anyone else wants to know how ot do this I can post a synopsis of what I did.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.