crackpot is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

one to one relations

Good morning everybody, I'm a newbie, struggling with this:

• I have a huge set of data (fields never used anywhere else!only one shot!)
    • these data have to be populated by different employees so, in order to:
      • reduce a sinle huge table
      • authorize each employee to populate a different mask
    I think the solution is a few "one to one relations" (each with the set of data that the single employees has to manage.

my problem is how to create in access 2007 a one to one relation
    actually I do create it, but it does not work?
    how can I populate data?
    If I check integrity I can' add a field in nor of the 2 tables!
    each one says that cannnot add a filed because the other one hasn't any record related to (ad a dog that bites itself tail!)
    whereas with no check for integrity I can add a record in the secondary table that I can open inside the primary, BUT I can't see it anymore when I open the table again. Nor I can't see any record added..
    I can't see it inside the secondary table, wherease it's actually added to the secondary table, if I open this table separately the added record exists!
    how can I populate and manage a one to one relation???

or there is some other solution (without having to write a loooong code... :-O)
    THANKS!!!!
    Bianca

Datagopherdan is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    I'm assuming tht you're saying that each employee is assigned their own specific records. You can do this programatically. Without knowing a great deal about what you're working with, the basic setup would be that you would create an employee's table and have a unique identifer in the table such as an auto-number and set is as your primary key In your records table you would create a employee id field (Numeric data type) and set a one to many relationship between your employee's table and records table.

You can then use your employee's table as a record source in a form and then your data table as a record source in another form, which would be used as a sub-form in the form that has the employee information.

If I knew more details, I could provide you more specifics.

crackpot is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

more concrete description

many thanks for your swift answer!
    actually I'm not sure about the english terms with which explain the main need:
    an "order" (not meaning a purchase order but a group pf activities, a plant , a job), I call it a "job"
    there are sets of dates related to each "job"
    • a group of dates A (eg when the documentA has been delivered, the document B has been signed etc), plus others data
    • a group of dates B (..
    an employee has to register the group of dates and fields A, another B etc
    then the aim is this:
    • produce a report that shows the dates in which the procedure of each document has been fulfilled
    • produce alert that advise each employee that is approaching a date in which he will have to deliver documents or post a request etc
    it's a bureucratic procedure and we have to register the dates that grants that the proceudre has been followed correctly and have alert that help the guys to work

I hope it's quite clear..
    THANKS
    Bianca (from Italy :-) )

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.