Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    We rarely have repeat offenders. When we do, and they fail to abide after several warnings, they are given a time out. This can be anywhere from 7 days to indefinite. Most offenders acknowledge the issue and are usually new posters to the site.

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Perhaps I could ask regular responders what, if anything, they usually do if/when they realise that someone has cross posted?
    If I spot an unadvised cross post, I would normally respond with a link to https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184 and also a link to the cross post at the other site.
    If the OP were to cross post again, I would just ignore their post.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

I just post the crossposted link, so others are aware.
    If the O/P has the 'I could not give a toss' attitude, then they go on my ignore list.
    Please use # icon on toolbar when posting code snippets.
    Cross Posting: https://www.excelguru.ca/content.php?184
    Debugging Access: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...bug+access+vba

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    same here - include the crosspost link, sometimes I post the excelguru link, either here or on the other forum. Depends on factors such as how much of a novice, general attitude in their post, etc

Here is an example of one such user, on several forums including this one.
    This was posted on a small forum that has an Access sub forum.

It's polite to mention when you have cross-posted something. See Rule 9.

I understand what it is. I'm not bound by it though. This was a one off and it is not my habit. After this, I will say no more. I did not find a solution to my issue at hand, although a reply was made without me knowing about until later. I don't cater to busybodies that like to police the internet. My apologies if Hans was offended. As far as that other person, no thanks. No good manner lessons needed.
    No good manner lessons needed. ??? roflmao

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    I remember that one. The way I look at it is this. I 'work' here for free. If you cross post and don't acknowledge your transgression when you're called out for it, you go on my ignore list. I hate to say it, but for that and other reasons like flaming, rudeness (and even being asked not to ever reply again) I must have 120 on my ignore list. Most of those I never see back again thus there are very few who seem to resurface. I only 'work' here and Mr. Excel and I won't post the cross posting advisory link there because the last time I did that I got called out for acting like a moderator.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Well, there is thanks for you.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows 10 Office 365
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Just ignore the post. For me, if no one else has commented about the cross post, then I will and add the excelguru link.
    One thing I've learned from forums, database admin, development projects and retirement--- you tend to develop a little thicker skin.
    Not everyone is pleasant; has a positive/inquisitive learning; and appreciative of any help.

For me: (and micron)===adjusted from original
    A Forum volunteer is an Individual who does precision guesswork based on unreliable
    and vague data
    provided by those with minimal subject knowledge and obscure intent. provided by those with questionable knowledge and intent.

A Forum volunteer is NOT clairvoyant. A Forum volunteer does NOT have to take abuse.

A Forum volunteer doesn't have to read or respond to any post - can ignore for any reason.
    Last edited by orange; 05-11-2022 at 05:22 PM. Reason: adjusted after micron's response

Windows 10 Access 2016
    Orange, that's cool! I would offer that questionable, when describing intent, speaks to honesty rather than clarity. Perhaps?
    provided by those with minimal subject knowledge and obscure intent.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.

Windows 10 Office 365
    These are just a few personal thoughts and recollections.
    Your interpretation is fine --that's sort of what I meant. I like your words.
    I didn't want to imply ADD, Excel-bias or stretch things to some extreme mood swings, malcontent/discontent, but we have all encountered posters who - perhaps under pressure, with a demanding boss, or other impossible situation - have been quite verbal and negative/abusive in their response.

I did adjust post #23.

Windows 10 Access 2016
    but we have all encountered posters who - perhaps under pressure, with a demanding boss, or other impossible situation - have been quite verbal and negative/abusive in their response.
    This guy must have been on the chopping block then.

Besides the irony of the fact you can't spell "knowledgeable", and the belittling tone which appears to assume I can't possibly know what I'm talking about, I DO know how long it will take. So, you acting as if I couldn't possibly just puts your comment on the pile of useless trivialising rubbish where it belongs. I recommend you revise your carping attitude in future, it doesn't become you and all I have learned from this exchange is, you are an obnoxious toad. This doesn't make you look like the better person, it just makes you look like somebody who doesn't know what they're talking about and only comments to make sniping remarks you are unable to back up with intelligence.
    What's really ironic is that knowledgeable is spelled correctly but trivialising is not.

Alas, I think this one is digressing.

Windows 10 Office 365
    Well one thing for sure:

Even the most obnoxious, degrading, belligerent, rude, threatening, aggressive responses
    can serve as a great example of poor/unacceptable behaviour.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    I follow the same guidelines as suggested by @orange though I rarely add anyone to an ignore list. I just stop answering their posts.

I hope this doesn't sound like I'm belittling the above comments.
    However for info the obnoxious sounding toad who was quoted in post #26 did spell trivialising correctly as far as UK English is concerned though it has a 'z' instead of an 's' in US English.
    Similarly for criticise/criticize
    Last edited by isladogs; 05-12-2022 at 06:38 AM.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Windows 10 Access 2016
    what about UK for knowledgeable?

If someone cross posts you commit their username to one of tens or hundreds in your brain so that when they post 2 months later you go "Aha, I won't respond because he's a cross poster!" Somehow I doubt that.

isladogs is offline MVP / VIP
    Windows 10 Office 365
    LOL
    As I'm such a know it all, I can confirm that you spelt it correctly.

I largely gave up on ignore lists as a result of being a moderators at 2 other forums both now and in the past.
    I felt it was impossible to fulfil that role if I was blocking the type of forum member most likely to need moderation.

Repeat offenders and especially abusive posters are easy to remember.
    There's usually a good reason if I re-engage with any of those though of course my memory isn't perfect.
    Colin, Access MVP, Website, email
    The more I learn, the more I know I don't know. When I don't know, I keep quiet!
    If I don't know that I don't know, I don't know whether to answer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.