Can an accdb file be moved from one computer to another?

I have a desktop and a laptop, both with WIN 10 and Access 2016. I would like to move myDB.accdb from the desktop to the laptop, gather data at the remote location and then move the accdb file back to the desktop for report generation, etc. Will the accdb file properly overwrite itself on each computer ? Any other problems likely to crop up?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 10 Access 2010 32bit
    Like any file, will overwrite if you tell it to.

Presume this is not a split design and you are the only user.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

When you have split database, i.e. front-end (FE) and back-end (BE):
    You can move any FE freely;
    when you move BE, you have to change linked tables locations using Linked Table Manager to new BE location in every FE.

orange is online now Moderator
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    fred,

This response assumes/depends on your installing Access on both the desktop and laptop.

If there are 2 or more copies of the database being updated, then there is almost certainty they will be "out of sync".

However, if you created a database on your desktop, and copy it to your laptop. Then go to the remote location and gather/enter data.
    Providing the database on the desktop has not been modified in any way, you could rename that database on the desktop, then copy the database from the laptop to the desktop- and all should be well.

BUT, and there's always a big BUT
    -you should always make backups of important files (assume something bad may happen)
    -this approach of a single database to be shopped around and copied back is not a good design

-you should research MS Access split database
    Here is one link but google/Bing for others

I recommend you tell us more about your proposed database and application in plain English. There may be some options that could help you.

Also: At the bottom of the screen is a list of Similar Threads --others may have had similar question and you may find some helpful

Good luck.

Access 2016 is installed on both the desktop and laptop. There is no sync issue since new data will only be entered on the laptop and then immediately copied (direct or via USB) to the desktop. If any changes are made at the desktop, the total file would be copied back to the laptop if more data needs to be entered. I will be the only person using this database and I do frequent backups of all my data to an external hard-drive and I also subscribe to a cloud backup where any new files or changes to existing files are auto-loaded within 30 minutes.

This project involves going through 30+ Kodak rotary slide trays (3000+ photos), selecting the best slides, discarding the extras and bad photos, and then using a slide copy machine to make digital copies. As I make the copies, I will be making entries into this database so I can build reports/lists of the slides to find the photos I might want by date, subject, or event. All reports and lists will only be generated from the desktop. I have never built an Access executable nor a split database so I don't feel confident in going in those directions. What I would like to be able to do is a simple Copy, Paste, Copy, Paste, etc.. My desktop office space does not have enough space to be able to do this work, therefore the need to go to another larger area where I can deal with the slide trays, slide copy machine and a laptop.

Not sure I understand your comments on renaming the database on the desktop before copying back from the laptop. Copy back with it's original name or the new name? Bottom line, why rename it ? To use the new name as a version label? My cloud backup service includes saving 30 days worth of older copies, so it would be possible to find the last accurate version there, with some time and effort.

Thanks for your help...

June7 is online now VIP
    Case of over-thinking? Did you see post 2?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

As June says copy will overwrite if you agree to the overwrite.
    However, I have a few questions - more for context and to ensure you have your requirements established.
    I have worked with some photo search applications and reviewed one that was designed several years ago.
    Some of this may be waaay outside the scope of your project, so ignore as necessary.

If you start with say 3000+ photos and you will be "selecting the best slides, discarding the extras and bad photos,"
    do you identify the slides you discard/reject (I've seen changes in requirements where discarded images were now needed??)
    Have you mocked up the kinds of search/retrieval anticipated? (find the photos I might want by date, subject, or event.)

Again, I have seen categorization/classification schemes that were not sufficiently designed/defined for ease of selection.
    I worked with a tourism group that needed photos along these lines (again may not be relevant to your needs)
    -season of the year
    -weather feature snowstorm/rain / wind/cloud/stars/ moon....
    -seascape/landscape/cityscape/rural
    -person, place, thing
    -vehicle (car/train/airplane..)
    and on and on

These people were providing "images" to clients based on "various criteria".
    Better to consider and decide to keep/reject a photo or an index/attribute from a point of knowledge rather than ignore or reject without any analysis.

Good luck with your project.

Orange,
    Thanks for the confirmation on overwriting w/approval process. Also thanks for the additional discussion about context. I did some more thinking about the other possible characteristics I might want to use as search parameters. However, I am more interested in finding/tracking photos based on the human activities rather than the photographic image parameters, such as sunrise shots, sunset shots, etc. And in addition to some generic categories such as Holidays and Sports, if need to create more specific activities, I can just add Birthdays or Basketball and that is just adding a couple of extra categories to my Table of Categories.
    Re: the discarded photos, I will be selecting the best of any group of tw0 or more of the same people at the same activity, like blowing out the candles of a birthday cake. Like most home photo enthusiasts (think) I usually click off 2 or 3 quick shots of every scene I want to capture; therefore I always have way too many images hanging around that tell the same story. Heck,some times I even end up with one or two images where someone's head is half cutout or an image might be blurred by camera shake, etc... It will be extremely rare that I will ever want to go back to photos like that.

Thanks for the help..

Fred615

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.