BruceUK is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016

Using function keys when debugging VBA code - problem with Windows 10

I'm using Access 365 under Windows 10. I'm trying to debug some VBA code by setting a breakpoint and stepping through the code statement by statement. Under previous versions of Windows and previous versions of Access, I was able to use the shortcut function keys F8 and F9, either alone or in conjunction with the Shift and Control keys, to step through the code in various ways. But with Windows 10, when I press the F8 key to execute the next statement, a popup appears with something to do with the Cortana feature! Something equally irrelevant happens with another popup if I select a statement and press the F9 key to set a breakpoint there.

Can someone explain what I need to do to establish the proper use of these function keys when debugging VBA code? I'll be grateful for any suggestions!

your keyboard probably has a function key that switches between modes. On mine its called "FN" and its at the end of the F keys (after F12). If you hold this key down the F keys should behave like you expect.

Its very annoying and I've not found a way to make the F kays default to the original options.

BruceUK is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Many thanks for the quick reply! Yes my keyboard does have an 'FN' key (although on mine, it's located next to the Ctrl key). I'd never paid any attention to that key before. Anyway I tried using it and it does restore the expected behaviour of the F keys.

Thanks again.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.